(Closed) NWR Helping a friend in need of psych help from acorss the country

posted 7 years ago in Weddingbee
Post # 3
941 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

Does she have a psychiatrist or therapist she routinely sees?  Contacting them could be a good start.

What’s going on that she appears manic?  Is she at risk of hurting herself or someone else?  Or is she talking about suicide?  

If there is a risk of danger to anyone, non-emergency could be a good option.  Though a doctor or therapist she always has a relationship with is the best starting place if that’s possible.  

Post # 4
1432 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2013

What has caused you to think that your friend is having a manic episode?

I think that you should call the non-emergency police line in her town.  Tell them that you’re worried about her, that she’s not answering her phone, and that you’d like someone to go check on her.

Better to be safe than sorry.  

Sorry that you and your friend are going through this 🙁 


Post # 5
1940 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

Does your friend have a history of having bipolar disorder, manic episodes or other psychiatric disturbances?  Do you think she’s in danger to herself or others?  (For example, there are some people who experience mania and buy a ton of really expensive purchases – houses, boats, vehicles, etc. but they aren’t actually going to hurt themselves).  Does your friend have family in the area (or even elsewhere) that you could call? 

Post # 9
145 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

Sorry you’re going through this.  You can call non emergency and ask for a “well check” and that your concerned due to psych issues, and you have been unable to gain contact with her.  If there isn’t any safety issues they will not do anything, but if she is acting psychotic or there are any concerns regarding suicidality or homicidality they will take her to the hospital for an evaluation.

Post # 10
941 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

Hmm….well for the immediate, it’s okay to call the non-emergency police.  You could say that she’s been talking about engaging in unsafe behaviors, and you’re concerned about her ability to keep herself safe.

When I was in college, I volunteered on a suicide/crisis line, and we were able to set up “wellness checks” with the local police department.  Those are non-emergency checks on someone, so the police would visit, though it wouldn’t be right away or immediate.  It may be a good option, and if they see a serious need, they could potentially hospitalize her for a period of time.  

For future, as you may know, it may be helpful to have her see a therapist and a psychiatrist.  For people with serious psychiatric diagnoses, medication often makes therapy much more successful.  But that’s all for the future…and now it sounds like more immediate action is good.  

Post # 12
5883 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: October 2010

@ellabee: So sorry you are going through this! It suxs when our friends are going through a rough time and we are helpless to do anything. I’m glad someone is checking in on her. I hope she has gotten the help she needs.

The topic ‘NWR Helping a friend in need of psych help from acorss the country’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors