Post # 1
First of all, I’m sorry this isn’t in the “job” category (which I swore existed once, and now I can’t seem to find).
I am currently not working, because I’m in the process of seeking out a job I really want to do. (I graduated in May, had 2 work experiences that were REALLY overwhelming for a variety of reasons, and my fiance was supportive and kind enough to suggest I take the time to really seek out more ideal work).
So, I’m in a situation now where everything suddenly seems to want to be working in my favor, but almost too much. Last week, I interviewed at an agency that had a lot of the qualities I was looking for–namely a supportive work environment, good supervisor, and at least somewhat doing the work I want to do. (Not 100% ideal, but pretty good). Also, it’s REALLY close to my current job. And I now have a second interview with them (and a lot of enthusiasm from the person I interviewed with about her feeling like I’m a strong candidate).
So, my 2nd interview is Monday. Where the problem comes in…I also have an interview scheduled next Wednesday for seemingly the perfect job (an agency I never expected to actually call me because they’re really well known and hard to get a job with unless you know someone, the exact population I want to work with, and the exact environment I want to work in). It is much further from my house, but we’re planning on moving in the future and it would be much closer to there.
I’m probably thinking too far ahead, but my concern is, what do I do if the first place offers me the job? I don’t want to miss out on the opportunity of the 2nd job, but don’t know if it’s okay to say hey give me three days to give you a decision.
I don’t know…any words of wisdom from all you wise people? (Besides stop worrying before it happens, becaus eI think that’s what I need to tell myself ultimately 🙂 ).
Post # 3
They will probably ask you when you are available to start work (as part of the 2nd interview), so be ready with that answer. As for if they give you an offer on the spot – tell them thank you and that you are considering another offer and ask if it would be acceptable to give them an answer by the end of the week. That will at least buy you some time to have the other interview and see if that’s a possibility.
Post # 4
First off, congrats on the interviews!
Second, just try to remain calm. It is highly, HIGHLY unlikely that the first company will offer you a job on the spot at the second interview. Chances are you will hear back from the company in a week or so about either another interview, a job offer, or a polite ‘thanks but no thanks’. If you do get the job offer from company 1, you will most likely have until a certain date to either accept or decline.
In short, I would definitely accept the interview with the other company. Despite any enthusiasm from company 1, until there is an offer on the table you owe them no loyalty. I am sure that they are aware that you are interviewing with other companies, it is what people looking for a job do! Thus, accept both interviews and see how things go.
Perhaps when you go to the dream company interview you will find it was only on the outside looking in that it was perfect and that company 1 is where you want to be. Or maybe company 1 won’t offer you a job but dream company does. Either way, just relax and rock out both interviews!
Post # 5
I’ll second that company 1 will most likely not offer you a job on the spot following the second interview (and if they did, they would have zero expectation that you could/would accept it right on the spot).
Go ahead with the company 2’s interview as you likely won’t have even heard back from company 1 yet. If you do get an offer from company 1, you can leverage that to maybe speed the process up with company 2 (if they still seem to be your prefered job after the first interview). Basically, you could go to company 2 and tell them that while you’d really love to work for them and have been really pleased with the interview process so far, unfortunately you have a job offer from company 1 and you have to let them know if you are accepting it by XX date. If company 2 is truely interested in you, they’ll get you through any other interviews necessary to either offer you a job before you’d have to notify the other company or they’ll let you know that unfortunately they won’t be making you an offer. Either way, then you are fully informed making your decisions and there is no looking back with “what ifs”.
Post # 6
- Wedding: March 2010 - Calamigos Ranch
Good luck with either interview! I think that only very rarely is a company that wants you to give a commitment on the spot a company that you want to work for (my current place did that, and, well…). They might call you the same day to make an offer, though. Do try to say that you’re very excited about the position, but you’d like a few days to consider a competing offer and you’ll get back to them as quickly as possible. They should be amenable.
Post # 7
Thank you all for your advice and validation!!! (It really does help a lot) That all makes a lot of sense, and I definitely think you are all right. I definitely have a better sense of what to say and how to approach it. And I’ll take some deep breaths. 🙂
Post # 8
Thanks again everyone for all the supportive thoughts! And just an update…I went in for the second interview and was offered the position!!!!!! Yay! I haven’t yet accepted (she was okay with a response at the end of the week), but it’s exciting! If only my fiance would answer his phone so I could tell him! 🙂