NWR Trump's 2018 federal budget

posted 3 years ago in The Lounge
Post # 16
5566 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: October 2017

I have never despised someone I have never met as much as I despise Trump.

Of course he wants to boost up the military, some of his people had said he wanted tanks to roll down the road during his inauguration parade.

The man is dangerously unstable

What’s even worse is that whatever followers he has left make excuses for whatever he does. WE are paying for his ridiculous wall that will be torn down as soon as he leaves office.

If you talk to a fan, they say, well yeah, we pay first and Mexico will reimburse us. REALLY? That’s not what he laid out in his campaign.

America first is really military and wealthy first.

What kind of scumbag cuts meals on wheels to pay for a useless wall that Mexico was supposed to pay for?

I wake up each day to check to see if he’s been tossed out on his arse. But, then we would be stuck with Pence or that snake Ryan. We are screwed until we vote them out in 2018.

Post # 17
7417 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2014

j_jaye :  It’s lovely to hear that Australian military personnel are paid well, especially given the exchange rate and the very high cost of living in Australia!  I was stunned to see how much my Aussie friends pay for Internet access and things like that!  

Post # 18
235 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2017

I’m glad there is a post on here about this because I’m not up to date with politics and wish I could understand it more. Also, I hope this doesn’t turn into a huge war and then gets closed by the moderators. 

Post # 19
459 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2017

I can’t believe that I continue to wake up every morning, read the news, and think “WHAT?!”  I mean, nothing here is surprising, it’s just so sad and disappointing.  I wrote my senators yesterday, but I’ve been sending emails with each new event but honestly it’s hard not to get weary.  

Post # 20
7417 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2014

applesandspice :  If you call instead of emailing, you may stand a better chance of getting your message heard, because many congressional offices use software that scans your incoming email and sends you back a form letter, and a human might never read it. 🙁

Post # 21
6830 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: April 2016

I read something this morning about eliminating funding for Meals on Wheels was “the compassionate thing to do.” WHAT ARE THEY SMOKING?!?!

Here’s the article a friend posted: http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/03/white-house-says-cutting-meals-on-wheels-is-compassionate.html?mid=facebook_nymag

An actual quote from White House budget director Mick Mulvaney: “You’re only focusing on half of the equation, right? You’re focusing on the recipients of the money. We’re trying to focus on both the recipients of the money and the folks who give us the money in the first place. And I think it’s fairly compassionate to go to them and say, ‘Look, we’re not gonna ask you for your hard-earned money, anymore, single mother of two in Detroit … unless we can guarantee to you that that money is actually being used in a proper function.'”

Post # 23
Hostess
9671 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: March 2014 - Chicago, IL

Cutting out the after school programs and Meals on Wheels is really, really doing my head in. My grandparents are 89 and 90, but they take care of my 63 year old aunt that has dementia (because, yay US healthcare). She has diabetes and failing kidneys and Meals on Wheels has been able to provide her with meals that meet her nutritional requirements, so my 89 year old grandmother doesn’t have to fret every single day over what to fix her to eat. I’m at a loss for words. If Republicans are majority Christians, they sure as hell aren’t acting like it.

Post # 24
1039 posts
Bumble bee

You all know the best way to resolve this situation right? 

You can call your reps. you can attend town hall meetings.

You can donate to organizations like PBS and NPR and Planned Parenthood who stand to lose funding. You can volunteer where possible for after school programs who might be losing funding and meals on wheels. See what your local communities and churches have in the way of helping those less fortunate.

But the biggest and most important thing you can do if this budget and current political situation is upsetting you: every. single. day. you should be looking up special elections in your state and be registered to vote in it. Every. single. day. You should be looking at potential candidates for 2018 to retake not only the House in DC but your LOCAL legislature as well. Donate to a campaign. Volunteer if you can. Get involved.

I say this because we have a problem as a movement when only 12% of the population in Los Angeles came out to vote for mayor but half the damn city turned out for the Women’s March. If you aren’t voting, you aren’t making the real difference needed to reverse this momentum.

so be mad. But vote. Get everyone you know to vote. Every time. No matter how small the election. 

Post # 25
209 posts
Helper bee

It is my understanding that he is cutting all of these programs while still actually raising the budget base cap by $10 billion. Is that right? So, for all his talk of cutting the budget, he is not even doing that. And WE are going to be paying for the stupid wall!

He could forgo his frequent and ridiculously expensive trips to Florida and feed starving seniors and children instead, but that would mean he would have to sacrifice his own personal comfort, and we know that won’t happen. He’s off there again this weekend. I can’t believe that any person with a heart can support millions of dollars going toward his weekend beach trips, while funding for the elderly to have food and heat is considered wasteful. When do his supporters stop defending that and stand up for what’s right?

He is also going to have to have people to staff his increased military. If they don’t volunteer, we all know what could happen. I hope his voters realize that the draft age is up to 36 years old for men, and 45 for those who have needed skills. 

I call as often as possible, and while I have been guilty of not voting in the past, that will never happen again.

Post # 26
Hostess
9671 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: March 2014 - Chicago, IL

raindrop101 :  He has to go there and put on a show for all the people who paid $200k for access to him and our country’s classified documents. I seriously wonder how many “members” are spies, and if the members of Mar-A-Lago go through any sort of “extreme vetting.” 

Post # 27
924 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2017

America right now:

Post # 28
816 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

He’s also cutting potentially lifesaving funds to organizations like CSB.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN16O0FK

The state of US manufacturing and industrial facilities are near their end of life which is where accidents are most likely to occur.  Without the investigations done by this organization which is then translated to industry standard and regulations you are likely to see a sharp increase in severe injuries and deaths to personnel operating these facilities and most importantly we will not learn from our mistakes further dooming potential workers from avoidable unsafe situations.

This is outright scary and I can’t imagine why anyone could possibly vote against their own self interests: going to work in a safe environment and coming back to your families unhurt and alive.

Post # 29
209 posts
Helper bee

Ettalie :  Who need any of that when there is now a helicopter landing pad at the “Winter White House”? I imagine we’ll be paying for that too. 

I don’t begrudge him a vacation, but he’s hasn’t even been on the job 2 months and he’s already cost millions of dollars flying back and forth to Florida. It’s obvious that he will be spending enormous amounts of time there on our dime.

If President Obama had even attempted to fly to his home almost every weekend or build a helicopter pad on his private property, the crap would have hit the fan. 

Why the ridiculous double standard? Why doesn’t any “conservative” have the guts to call him out? 

Post # 30
1150 posts
Bumble bee

Katie-Didnt :  

“I say this because we have a problem as a movement when only 12% of the population in Los Angeles came out to vote for mayor but half the damn city turned out for the Women’s March”

Ugh, that is painful.  

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors