(Closed) NWR What are you getting your MIL/FIL & your parents for the holidays?

posted 8 years ago in Gifts and Registries
Post # 3
990 posts
Busy bee

Snake – I nearly posted the same questiona  few days ago!

That said, as much as I dislike giftcards (I usually feel they’re impersonal and I LOVE buying personal gifts), CW and I have decided to go the giftcard route. Because, similarly, I don’t want to get stuff they won’t use for them and I hate the middle-of-the-aisle crap; it just screams “I had no idea what to get you!”

So, we plan to get his parents a giftcard to cracker barrel (for some reason his family really love this place … blech) and to their favorite movie theater (did you know that people have favorite movie theaters?)plus I’m going to make them a coupon to use for babysitting CW’s four year old brother. That way they get to have a nice relaxing date night.

My mom and stepdad: A giftcard to their favorite restaurant (it’s at a harbor not too far away, and they’re always talking about it, trying to get us to go, etc) and to the movies, as well. Sometimes I feel like it’s not quite enough … but my mom’s birthday is 3 days before Christmas … so I’ve already gotten her a sizeable gift for that and my stepdad is IMPOSSIBLE to buy for.

As for my dad? Well, he’s basically a big kid … so I want to get him the new Duck Hunter game and CW suggested getting him Ammo for his actual gun (which my mother ascertains makes him a brave, brave man)!

I hope this helps – do any of them like a specific type of art? Does FI’s mom like jewelry? You could always go the customized route … A few years ago my family and I made gift baskets out of popcorn bowls with packs of popcorn, some candy, 2 movies, and a blanket for the newly married couples in my family (there were 5 that year)! I think it can work well for anyone, though, really!

Post # 4
299 posts
Helper bee

We do a big basket from me and my family to his parents every year. We fill it with locally made foods, gourmet ingredients, little luxury items they probably wouldn’t bother to purchase for themselves, things like that. They seem to like it, so we do a variation on it every year. Fiance doesn’t even know what to get his parents individually, which is why we go this route. Typically if there is anything his parent’s want, they buy it for each other pretty quickly, which leaves us with few choices 😛

Post # 5
806 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

We like giving a gift certificate to their favorite nice restaurant (or taking them out) since they always say they don’t need more “stuff.”

The topic ‘NWR What are you getting your MIL/FIL & your parents for the holidays?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors