(Closed) Obtaining your marriage license

posted 6 years ago in Logistics
Post # 4
4284 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

My Darling Husband actually went and got the paperwork. He just needed his drivers license. I filled out all the paperwork and handed it in and then we picked it up like 3-5 days later. I did have to have our birth certificates as well. The cost was around $20.

Post # 5
182 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: March 2013

In Arkansas it’s super easy. As long as you are over 18, you come in together with your ids and sign a couple of papers. They print it out for you, tell you that it is valid for 60 days (and that it is a $100 bond…if you don’t return it used or unused within 60 days, you owe the state $100). You pay $60 cash and you are on your way. Super easy.



Post # 6
2389 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

In Chicago, the couple has to go together and fill out the application, and it’s issued while you wait.  The cost is $60.  You only need a driver’s license or passport.  It’s valid the next day and for 60 days after, only in Cook County.  

The name on the license and the certificate has to be EXACTLY as it’s written on your driver’s license.  We didn’t know that til we got there.  So my H couldn’t use his full middle name, only his initial.  

Post # 7
11747 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

We both need to be present and bring a photo id and birth certificate. There’s no waiting period in the state we’re being married in.  I think it costs $45.00.

Post # 8
525 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

It’s easy where I am in Canada. You fill out the form in advance (you can download it). Each person needs two pieces of ID (combination of passport, drivers license, birth certificate), but only one person needs to show up in person with all the ID’s and the form. I have no idea what the cost is, but it’s valid for 90 days.

Post # 9
2286 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: Central Park

Florida. Both parties must be present, you pay the $93.50 and attest that you are not currently married, provide a government ID and your SSN, and they give you a license that is valid three days from then, and good for up to 60 days.

Post # 10
1202 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

In NY, you can get it up to 60 days ahead and the cost is $40 as long as you are outside of NYC. I think you have to bring at least two forms of ID and there is no blood test or physical or anything. And both people have to be present to fill out and sign forms. 🙂 

Post # 11
1112 posts
Bumble bee

We’re in KY. Not totally sure yet, but I think it costs $35-40 and we both have to be present with some form of ID.

Post # 12
9952 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2012

Follow up to the post by michiru4ever:  # 8 above… on Florida (one of the easiest US States to get married in)

Especially for Non-Floridians / non-Americans …

As Canadians we did the same things…

Had to both be present together – Filled out the form – Paid $ 93.50 – Stated we weren’t currently married (as Encores we had to provide the DATES when our last Marriages ended… and the reason Annulment / Death / Divorce) – Provide ID as Non-Americans (Passports) – AND Read the Booklet on Domestic Abuse – Swore an OATH in front of the clerk that all info provided was truthful

And within about 30 minutes or so our Marriage License was prepared (printed / notarized)

As Non-Floridians… our license was effective immediately (NO Waiting Period) – and valid for 60 Days from the date of issue.

The cool things about the State of Florida vs other states is…


* NO Waiting Period for Non-Residents

* One can apply in any County Courthouse in Florida and the License is valid for anywhere in the State of Florida or it’s waterways (up to 3 Miles off-shore)

* NO Divorce Decree / Death Certificates needed (just the dates).  Saves significantly on COSTS… because getting Ceritifed Originals can be quite pricey depending on WHERE you live.

* NO Blood Tests or other Medical Requirements

* JUST a Passport needed for ID etc (NO requirement for Canadian Social Insurance info… which as Canadians our country advises us not to provide to anyone outside of the Canadian Government.  Some states INSISTED on our CANADIAN SIN # Info. despite the fact that legally we shouldn’t be providing that.  They didn’t understand WHY… to them the form said SSN info, so they wanted our equivalent)

* AND NO Witnesses required for the Wedding… just a Registered & Licensed Florida Officiant has to be present (after the Wedding the Officiant signs the Wedding License, and has 10 Days to send it back to the relative County Courthouse so that a Wedding Certificate can be issued)


* One has to apply in person and both together.  They don’t process applications by mail.

Overall… EASY PEASY !!

10 out of 10 !!

Any Canadians looking to marry in the USA should consider Florida, as it is probably the easiest state to getting it done… and of course BEAUTIFUL WEATHER & BEACHES… perfect for Eloping / Destination Weddings.


Post # 13
9115 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2012

I got married in Cleveland County in Oklahoma. We both brought our normal ID (His military ID and my license) and that was it. Cleveland County is the only county in Oklahoma that allows us to formally write our names on the license before we are legally married. I was able to “change my name” to my married name immediately after having the license issued to us. After that, all we needed was an officiant to legally marry us and sign his name and proper info on the license, then we went and had it put on record.

The license cost us 50 dollars and the officiant cost us 75.

ETA: Edited: We had to be legally married within 30 days of being issued a license. It needed to be recorded within 5 days of getting married.

ETA2: We had to apply for the license together and we needed two witnesses. We both did not need to go together to have the license recorded.

ETA3: We only waited about 15 minutes for the woman to prep our license. Then again, it pretty much looked like we were the only ones in the courthouse.

Post # 14
2082 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: March 2013

The first time I married, I was married in Georgia. The license at that time was around 30 bucks but we also had to pay to have blood tests. That was 10 years ago.

I am getting married in Indiana this weekend. I think it just requires 60 dollars, ID, and date of divorce from the previous marriage.

Post # 15
960 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

I’m in Ontario, need two ID, 1 is photo. Valid for 90 days. And the cost varries by city. You can get it from any city in Ontario though as long as the marriage will take place in the province.

Cheapest in my area is $100

Post # 16
535 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: February 2014

Oklahoma. Both  of us  have to go with some form of ID.  Cost is $50,  but reduced to $5  if we take 4  hours counseling first.  Seems pretty easy  to me.

The topic ‘Obtaining your marriage license’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors