Post # 1
Where are you in the planning process? My family says I’m rushing things and my FI’s family thinks I’m way behind. I was hoping to compare to you guys and get a better idea.
- Ceremony/Reception Location Booked (same place- held in a barn)
- Wedding Dress
- Caterer picked and talked to, not officially booked
- Invitations purchased but they are DIY and not put together
- Decorations- paper lanterns, Christmas lights for beams, some antiques, some trays purchased
- List of songs in progress
- Maid/Matron of Honor and Best man have been asked, the rest of the wedding party has not
- Brides maid dresses picked out
- Groom/ Groomsmen outfits picked out
- Guest list is roughly assembled
We are DIYing a lot of the wedding. We are not having a DJ or Photographer and we’re making our own desserts and favors (although I don’t know what yet). I’m starting to worry about how everything will come together and I’m hoping your responses will reassure me or get my butt in gear! Thanks!
Post # 3
Hi Date Twin!!! Here is mine. I have done a lot of things super early but with work and school I wanted to get most of it done before I got very busy.
- Ceremony/Reception Location Booked
- Photographer Booked
- Engagement Pictures Done
- Day of Coordinator Booked
- Save the Dates mailed out
- Wedding website
- Wedding Dress. I get it in May
- Caterer booked
- Florist booked
- List of songs in progress
- Wedding party has been notified
- Suits for groom and groomsmen bought
- Guest list is assembled
- Wedding shoes bought
- Honeymoon Booked as of last week!
- Block of hotels for guests reserved
- Registries Done
- Wedding Bands
Bridesmaid Dresses!! (Stressed about this. I can’t find any I like)
DJ (Sent email to set up appt)
Videographer (sent email to set up appt)
Day of transportation
Rehearsal Dinner Location
Invitations/Programs are DIY
Post # 4
I’m pretty sure the last thing you need to worry about is rushing things. 🙂
My recommendation for you is to find a good wedding checklist online and see where you stand up. They can be slightly on the formal side (The Knot’s list is a bit overwhelming), but I think they’re really great touchstones for timing and getting things done.
Post # 5
@lilacwire: I tried the Knot but was so overwhelmed I stopped using it. Do you know of any simple to-do lists?
Post # 7
- Wedding: October 2011 - Tre Bella, Mesa, AZ
I actually think you’re perfect! 🙂 You have just enough done. What I have done:
- Venue booked, they do packages, so we also have our caterer, linens, tables/chairs, and DJ in that package
- All wedding party spoken with
- Guest list finalized
- Dress/veil/undergarments/shoes purchased
- Save-The-Date Cards almost done (sending out this week, just waiting to get our e-photos back)
- Hair/Makeup person chosen (my SIL)
- Photographer booked (e-pics done)
- Website created
Still need to:
- Book cake person (we did a tasting at our venue’s an open house and like their preferred baker)
- Find officiant
- Figure out outfits for Fiance (female) and two men in her line-up
- Figure out DIY bouquets (we’re doing silk)
- Create song list
- Schedule with venue for linens and DJ.
- DIY invites and programs
- Take BMs/MOHs to get dresses (we know the styles we want, just need to have them pick)
- Get rings (could technically wait since we have our engagement rings & could use those)
- Plan honeymoon (could also wait since we’re pushing it to Dec.; I’ll be in school in Oct.)
- Set up registry (totally not worried about this since we don’t need it until we send out invites).
Post # 8
Hello fellow October brides!
I am a planner, so I do have a lot done. I am diy-ing a lot as well, but mostly we have everything done except finding a baker. By your list you have, it sounds like you’re doing fine! October is still pretty far away so I wouldn’t stress about too much : )
Post # 9
I think you’re pretty much on track!
So far I have:
- Marriage Commisioner
- Venue (Ceremony/Reception)
- Dress & Accessories
- Bridesmaids/Groomsmen (know what attire is, haven’t bought yet)
- Invitations (know what I want, just working on the wording, then I will order)
- Music (iPhod DJ)
- Guest List complete
- Cake (BM making cupcakes, small cake from local baker).
- Hair figured out (just need a trial run)
I still need:
- Grooms Attire
- Possibly one more Bridesmaid or Best Man & Groomsmen (undecided)
- Invite wording (making me CRAZY, it’s so specific)
I could be missing some things! Most likely. But there is 6.5ish month left! eep! lots of time. right?!
Post # 10
@lessons: Hmm, I’ve been using the Knot one and just hiding all the crap I’m not worrying about. That really helps it be a bit more manageable and also makes me feel like I’m not missing a detail a shorter list might gloss over.
Weddingwire also seems to have a checklist, but I’m not sure how it compares.
There are a lot of hits for “wedding checklists” when I search it on google, so one of those may be more to your taste.
Post # 11
I was seriously going to start a thread like this last night, after making some progress yesterday, but then was too lazy to type up everything. Haha. Now I can copy and paste half of it =)
- Ceremony Location Booked
- Wedding Party Selected
- Photographer Booked
- Save the Dates mailed/handed out
- Wedding website
- Wedding Dress Bought: ETA April 1
- Invitations are preped for July when we will print and assemble them (have to make sure nothing changes, so will wait to print)
- DIY flowers complete
- Ceremony Music
- Ceremony Musician (Friend)
- Officient (Friend)
- Suits for groom and groomsmen picked out (Need to buy)
- Guest list
- Wedding shoes
- Veil lined up (borrowing from a friend)
- Cake Buffet Table
- His wedding band
- registry (we are just using amazon)
- Bridesmaid Dresses- Girls aren’t ready to commit yet
- Booking post wedding meal restaurant (ceremony location only allows cake reception)
- Buying groomsmen suits
- Hotel Block (This is FIs job, which he hasn’t exactly done yet)
- Cake and dessert selections
- My wedding band (picked out but need to purchase)
- First Dance Song
- Engagement Pictures (April 22)
I’m sure there is more I’m missing.
Post # 12
you sound like you’re on target! here’s our list
- Ceremony location booked
- Reception location booked
- Photographer booked
- E-Pic done
- Wedding website up & running
- Save-The-Date Cards designed
- Wedding dress purchased
- Reception dress purchased
- Shoes purchased
- List of songs in progress
- Guest list in progress
- Most of wedding party asked (FH still needs to ask my brother in person)
- Caterer chosen (FMIL!)
- Bartender/Bar situation tentatively chosen
Post # 13
Looks like you are right on track.
- Purchased a wedding dress
- Started registry
- Secured Hotel block
- Booked florist
- Purchased invitations- wasn’t going to do this until much later, but I scored clearance invitations at Target and I couldn’t pass up the good deal.
- Completed wedding website
March To Do’s:
- Book DJ- still waiting on fiance to complete this task…I may have to do it myself if it is not taken care of by April
- Book Officiant- have one in mind, just need to secure
- Mail Save the Dates- we are still in the process of getting everyone’s addresses. Should be finished by the weekend and will mail out next week.
April To Do’s:
- Bridesmaid dress search
- Cake Tasting- can’t wait for this!!!
- Search and Book Ceremony Musician
Post # 14
@lessons: To give you ladies some perspective, I got married October 15th, 2010. This time last year, my husband and I were still waiting to have our interview with immigration to get approval for my husbands visa. We didn’t start nailing down vendors or figuring out cakes/flowers/etc until more then a month later!
It’s great to try and follow those timelines, but honestly don’t let it get you worried! 🙂
Post # 15
You have a lot done. Here is where I am for Oct. 9:
-All the vendors are booked-just need to go for cake tasting, meet with officiant to finalize in person (though he has us booked), pick our flowers and songs for dj but we have lots of mental notes.
-Have to get my dress and my BM’s. I’ve been shopping a couple times, I will go again this weekend. Colors and styles picked out for BM’s, just going to decide once I get mine.
-Send STD’s. We decided to do paperless post (email them) which is great, and will just cost a few dollars. Still have to pick out paper invites but have a style in mind
-Pick out rings, Fiance pick out his formal attire for party.
Lots of other random things, these are the bigger ones that should take up my time.
Weddingwire has a pretty good checklist too. It’s funny how you can be so ahead with the admin stuff like bookings/meetings but so behind of things like dresses!
Post # 16
October 1 is such a popular date!!!
I’ve been getting admonished/teased for having so much done already too, but time slips by so fast and we’re DIY-ing a lot. I don’t want to be running around like a chicken with my head cut off in the last few months.
- ceremony and reception location (all at one place) booked
- photographer booked
- DJ booked
- officiant booked
- hairdresser and makeup artist booked
- transportation booked
- florist booked
- cake and favour maker (they’re edible) booked
- day-of coordinator booked
- guest list created (we needed to do this to know how big we needed our venue to be)
- bridal party decided on and asked
- MC chosen and asked
- my dress, veil, shoes, jewellery, all purchased
- bridesmaid dresses ordered
- ½ of the bm gifts purchased (I found the perfect thing on sale and jumped on it)
- some decorations ordered
- Mother of the Bride dress ordered
- night before room for gms booked
- night of rooms for bride and groom and for bridal party booked
- menu decided on
- pontoon boat rented
- ceremony script
- invitations (text written, design started but not finalized)
- programs (same as invitations)
- collecting addresses for invitations (not doing save the dates)
- wedding website (I’m almost finished; just need some input from FI)
- centrepieces decided on but not started
- cake topper decided on but not ordered
- tablecloths decided on but not ordered
- list of songs
- one of our two registries is started
Wow, I’ve got a lot more done than I thought I did. I’ve been plugging away at it slowly for months now and it never seemed like much until I wrote it all down.