(Closed) October 2012 Brides- Perfect, Excellent, Good, Bad and Ugly

posted 6 years ago in October 2012
Post # 3
1736 posts
Bumble bee

What was perfect? The whole day went off without incident. That, to me, is perfection. I was so happy to hear how happy my guests were. That makes all the difference! I honestly don’t think I can come up with very many negatives at all. My photographer was amazing…our food was to die for…our signature drink (apple sangria) was a huge hit…the cake was brilliant…the band was awesome…we had horse and carriage rides, fireworks, a cigar bar and a beautiful night to boot. My wedding was perfection!

What was excellent? The cake. My cake was absolutely amazing. My Mom had been on quite the tear with regard to finding a beautiful cake that also tasted good. I can’t say enough about the cake – we’re still eating the top tier because it was too good to waste away in the freezer. Best. Cake. Ever.

What was good? The band. We had an amazing live band who were just fab. It was sad because the dance floor wasn’t as packed as I had imagined it would be. That was our own fault though – we had too much going on that distracted folks (like a full cigar bar out on the back deck, really yummy food all night long…and fireworks)!

What was bad? I finally succumbed to illness the night before the wedding. I ened up having strep throat the day of and through the next week. Thank goodness that I had an overwhelming amont of adreneline (and cold medicine) coursing through my veins. I hardly paid it a second thought during the day. The next day was a different story!

What was ugly? Our honeymoon was postponed because of Hurricane Sandy. We got a 4:30 AM phone call from Jet Blue on Sunday morning saying our flights were cancelled and there were no flights out until the end of the following week. It was such a huge bummer, but it works in our favor because I won’t be sick on my honeymoon (we rescheduled for December).

Post # 4
431 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

What was perfect? The whole day itself. We were very organized, nobody was rushed, it was very calm but very swift as well. I wish I could re-live that day over again.

What was excellent? The ceremony. It was short, sweet, just what we wanted. We were worried about the weather about a week before and it ended up bring a brisk, but beautiful sunny day. Also, the food. OMG the foooooooood! We had full service buffet from Dickey’s BBQ and OMGGGGGG it was so delicious. I heard compliments all night and I’m still receiving them about how good the food was.

What was good? The reception. The atmosphere. It was so fun, but also calm and we had the chance to visit with some of our guests. 

What was bad? The cake. First off, it was DELICIOUS. It was really good cake. But the decorating was bad. My Mother-In-Law paid $500 for a 3 tiered cake and it did NOT look professional at all. The top and bottom tier were supposed to be medium purple and the middle tier was to be medium orange. It was all purple (not a big deal) but you could see streaks of white in the purple AND it was not smooth, the cake was a bit lopsided and the baker had done some design at the bottom of each tier and it just looked like shit. I contacted the bakery the day after and explained everything and they were very easy to work with and offered to give my Mother-In-Law half off and also returned the delivery fee.

What was ugly? I wasn’t feeling well during our entire honeymoon. I had a panic attack and I just wanted to stay in the hotel room all week :-/ I wish we could go back and do it again.

Post # 5
2239 posts
Buzzing bee

What was perfect? Seeing my husband at the end of the aisle.  He lit up when I came out.  I love looking at our wedding pictures because he’s happy in the ones where everyone else is coming out but then he’s got an extra sparkle in his eye when I start walking down the aisle.  Makes me cry, lol.  He’s so handsome and wonderful.  He’s perfect for me!

What was excellent? Our wedding cake was amazing and I loved our brunch buffet too.  Wedding day waffles = delicious.

What was good? The dancing was good!  Sometimes it was packed and other times it wasn’t very packed at all.  We all had fun!

What was bad? While putting my wedding dress and the flower girl dresses into my car I twisted my neck.  So, I sat in the front seat of my car crying in pain and it was raining outside a bit.  It was just dreary, painful, and flat out bad.  Thankfully advil kicked in so I didn’t stay sore long but it sure as heck hurt like a b!  The morning in general was kind of lackluster because everyone wanted me to get them ready and I got stressed out.  Before everyone bothered me I was fine and very zen.  I was okay once we were at the venue until I had to deal with the florist, lol.

What was ugly? The flower delivery service.  Our flowers were beautiful but if I had to do everything over again I’d pick a different florist because they scared the shit out of me on our wedding day.  I told them to have the flowers there by 9:30am.  Our ceremony was set to start at 11am.  I wanted to be able to take pictures before the ceremony with the flowers.  Nope.  Didn’t happen because they didn’t show up till 10:30.  They also didn’t attatch my brooch to my bouquet very well so I ended up having to take it off and now it is missing.  I dunno what the hell happened to it.  Makes me a little sad because it was pretty.  Didn’t have any sentimental value to me really aside that I bought it for our wedding day.  It was a fabulous brooch pin.  Anyways, while the flowers were gorgeous the delivery and service was awful.  And I turned into a crazy lady there for a few minutes.  Lady at our venue stepped up and called them or drove over or something.  I almost didn’t have flowers because of those fools.

Post # 6
595 posts
Busy bee

What was perfect?  My day was perfect.  I thought that it was so cute that DH cried during our vows and almost couldn’t get them all out.  My hair and MU were perfect.  My photog was perfect.

What was excellent?  The coordinators at the hotel.  They were right there to help with anything and everythng.  we had gotten Cheesecake Factory cheesecake for our wedding cake and the coordinator carefully pulled out all of the papers in between the slices!!   

Wht was good?  The food was really good from what I remember.

What was bad?  The wind was really bad.  I had bought a veil for some pictures but it kept getting ripped out of my hair so we only got a few.  Also we paid $175 for beverage service and only got water.

What was ugly?  When we returned the rental car, my dad was coming to pick us up to bring us back to the house.  We were wondering where he was when we got a call from my step mom saying that he was in a car accident.  He was rear-ended by this lady and she pushed him into the back a a truck in front of him.  He was okay but his friend’s car was totalled.

Post # 8
286 posts
Helper bee

What was perfect?

I don’t like the word ‘perfect,’ but I’d say watching my Darling Husband (!!) tear up when he was reciting his vows was perfect.  He said he wouldn’t, but he did, then I started crying during mine.

What was excellent?

My bridal party really was completely excellent, and they really pulled through at the wedding when I started to melt down.  Especially my Maid/Matron of Honor, she took charge and bossed everyone around and it was just what I needed so I could go and get my hair done. 

My photographer was so awesome, she did everything we wanted to do, and was very sweet. 

The food was excellent, also.

My makeup artist/hair stylist did an excellent job, and they made me feel super beautiful on my day!!

What was good?

The cake was good – it wasn’t anything fancy, but neither was the wedding.  It tasted good (the bite I got of it). 

I’m going to put turnout under good and bad – good because my Darling Husband is very shy and doesn’t like crowds and we had about 60 people show out of the 80 RSVP’d and 100 invited.  He was happy with that number, and I was too! 

What was bad?

Turnout – because people said they were coming we got a bigger cake and only about 1/3 of it got eaten, so that was a huge waste of money an we wound up trying to give it away an I think some of it actually went in the garbage. 

The timeline – we sort of got offtrack because I made these awesome timelines for everyone, personalized for the boys, the girls, the photog, etc, but they never got passed out. It turned out okay, we didn’t do the garter toss or bouquet toss, because people had to leave early for trick-or-treating but we didn’t care about it much. 

What was ugly?

No one got me from the back room at the church, I could barely hear anything and I thought I heard the wedding march (my cue) but I was thinking I might be losing it so I stayed there.  Then someone remembered I was far away so they run to get me, and I had to run around the church in heels, dragging my dress, to get to the church.  There was definitely an awkward run-away bride moment where people thought I might not be coming!!  I guess the bridal march played about 3 minute before I showed… whoops!!

No one put out the cake so I had to put someone on that as soon as I got to the reception.

I didn’t get to mingle much with guests, and I felt bad about the ones that left before we even made it to the reception (though, when there are no booze its hard to keep people at a reception past the food). 

I’ll get around to an official recap, a lot went ‘wrong’ at the wedding, but with no wedding planner, some car troubles, etc, I think the day was perfect.  At the end I was married, an that was all that mattered!!

Post # 9
93 posts
Worker bee

I am excited to do a regular recap with pics when I get them but this is a good way to start!

What was perfect?

Perfect would be the moment I walked into the ceremony with my Dad.  I was completely overwhelmed by all the love and support from everyone in the room.  I’ve never felt anything quite like that before, and to have that moment right before the ceremony was amazing.  I also loved that both Darling Husband and I choked up on our vows.  It was really sweet and wonderful.

What was excellent?

Pretty much everything.  I don’t think we made a single bad choice for the wedding.

– Our photographer was FANTASTIC.  She and her second shooter I think had about as much fun as our guests did and they took wonderful pictures while they did.  I wish I could take a room in our house and just wallpaper it in wedding pictures, I love them so much.

– Our DJ was AWESOME.  He is a mutual friend of Darling Husband and I, and partially responsible for getting us together.  He plays electronica/techno/club style music moreso than Top 40 and we were worried that people wouldn’t like him but, much to our happy surprise, they loved him.  We got so many compliments on his music and a lot of people remarked that they liked not having to hear YMCA/Cha-Cha Slide/Chicken Dance/etc like you always do at weddings.  The dance floor was full all night (and even my 88 year old grandmother got up and danced!!!), so I think that speaks for itself.

– The catering staff and venue staff were wonderful.  I really feel like they went the extra mile for us and many of them told us it was their favorite wedding that they had ever worked.  It just really helped create a great atmosphere the whole night.

– The decor was magical.  Both the ceremony and reception was indoors, in the same room and I was really worried about it being dark and not-weddingy enough (the room has no windows).  But DH’s mom was in charge of decor and she just filled the room with candles and twinkle-lights and the effect was incredible.  

– The cupcakes were super delicious.  We way over-ordered but I was really happy to be eating extra cupcakes during the honeymoon!  We actually took some with us on the plane to Hawaii. 🙂

What was good?

– Our officiant.  He is a friend of my father’s and while he was a little off the wall, even for us, he did a good job.  I don’t think DH’s family really knew what to make of him, but he did a nice job and I think it worked out well having him in that role.

What was bad?

There were some late-night drunken antics by some of our guests that I was less than thrilled with.  But really only 2 people come to mind as having WAY over-indulged and I suppose out of 80 people, that’s not bad.

What was ugly?

There was a bit of an unpleasant situation in the morning with my Mom.  She’s got pretty bad social anxiety and gets overwhelmed and upset easily.  We were trying to keep her away from the setup craziness in the morning, but for some reason she was brought to the setup anyway.  She ended up getting really upset and when I went to get her to get our hair done she was in an awful mood, which made me burst into tears.  I cried the whole walk back to our hotel because I was afraid she was going to be in her bad mood all day (that’s what usually happens when she gets upset).  Luckily I think she saw how upset I was and that shocked her into getting over her mood.  But it was really awkward when the stylist showed up to do our hair – I had obviously been crying and my Mom wasn’t totally back to normal yet, so I don’t think our poor hairstylist knew what to do with us!  Eventually though everybody was happy again, so that’s good.  And the rest of the day was beyond wonderful!

Post # 10
509 posts
Busy bee

What was perfect? That moment when I rounded the pews into view of my *husband* and he gasped, put his hand to his heart and mouthed “you are beautiful.” I get butterflies in my stomach every time I think about that. Also, when he told me he was going to “kiss the crap out of me” when I finally got up there. LOL!

What was excellent? The reception decor! For a year the finished look lived in my head, but to see it all put together when we walked in (I had left the night before when it was about 75% done, Darling Husband stayed late with the groomsmen to finish it) was amazing! 

Also our DJ was AMAZING! At one point I went up to him and requested he STOP playing such good music so I could actually get off the dance floor and get a drink!

My father’s family that I don’t know terribly well as they are spread out all over really rocked out at the reception. Between them and our friends our dance floor was PACKED all night. I was so scared it wouldn’t be, but def didn’t need to worry!

Our hair and make-up team did such a great job on me and the bridesmaid’s, we all felt/looked like models.

My MOH’s speech, she did SUCH a great job. 

What was good? The food, we had tapas served family style and it was soooooo good! I wish I could’ve ate more but we needed to keep the show going! LOL! Guests are still telling us how good the food was and that they loved that it wasn’t the same old, same old.

The best man’s speech, I was slightly worried he might be “too much” because he has a tendency to be, but his speech was actually very touching, funny, and only had one inappropriate moment that everyone loved. 🙂

What was bad? The weather, it was a gloomy, rainy Fall day unlike the weekends prior and after. Our out of town guests didn’t really get to enjoy the beautiful leaves or the city’s fun outdoor activities because of it. We almost let it ruin outdoor pics but finally we all just said screw it, let’s do it, and the teasers I’ve seen actually look pretty awesome out in the rain. (Thankfully it wasn’t a heavy rain, just a constant drizzle)

What was ugly? My dress got stepped on and one of the gatherings ripped and I didn’t realize it; I’ve since noticed in various guest photo’s that you can see a really noticeable wrinkle which is actually the ripped apart fold. 🙁

Our cupcakes, while they tasted good, looked so terrible. I really, truly could care less, it’s just dessert, but everytime I see a pic I cringe; I guess this is what I get for saying “surprise us!” LOL!

My parents didn’t really have it together all weekend and kept calling/texting asking for directions or where/what time something was which was really frustrating because I sent them an email with all the pertient information they’d need and they have smart phones! To top it off, my Dad didn’t pick-up his tux until about an hour before the ceremony (for whatever reason) and of course the pants were wrong and they couldn’t do anything for him, so he literally had to duct tape his pants up! I didn’t know about this until after, which I was thankful for, but there were so many points where I wanted to just be like, “Can you please get it together?!?!” LOL! 

Post # 11
1489 posts
Bumble bee

What was perfect?

The day as a whole. Everyone had a great time, The atmosphere was good and there was love all around.

What was excellent?

The look on my Husband’s face the first time he saw me.. It made all the hard work and time worth it.

Wht was good? The food… At least what I got to taste of it but everyone was happy with it.

What was bad? The DJ… Well he was not all bad but there were a few moments that I think he was a little over the top.

What was ugly? My Mom falling in Target the morning of the wedding on her knees and being in pain for most of the morning. I think the excitement of the day took the pain away.

Post # 12
1038 posts
Bumble bee

What was perfect?

The weather! It was a beautiful sunny day for my wedding with not a cloud in the sky.    Could not have had more perfect weather for a beach wedding!

What was excellent?

Pretty much everything.  We had amazing friends and family helping to set things up. Our vendors were amazing.  The food was great.  The cake was awesome.  The beach wedding company that did our wedding was amazing and their photographer was great as well.  My makeup artist and hairstylist made me look perfect for my day.  We were just blessed with good vendors and helpful friends and family.

What was good?

The decor.  The decorations on the beach for our ceremony were set up by the company doing my wedding and they came out just like I pictured it!  And the decor for our reception(which we did ourselves) came out great.  Sure it was windy though and that affected some of it(my candles in fishbowl centerpieces wouldn’t stay lit, even in the bowl and my sanddollars I had strewn randomly on tables kept blowing off) but at that point…didn’t care.

as bad? The turnout, well sorta.  We had a handful of people cancel less than 2 weeks from the wedding.  Which is just really odd for a Destination Wedding, I mean, who waits until 2 weeks away to book a flight? Oh well, they missed an amazing time and the people we really wanted to be there were there. Also, we went to a bar with all our friends after the reception and one of our friends got way too drunk and not only flirted nonstop with one of my married friends(who’s husband and kids were back at their condo) but he took one of her diamond earrings as a ploy to get a kiss out of her and she threatened to call the police on him unless he returned the earring.  Luckily she got the earring back, but man…having the cops involved on your wedding night would have been horrible. 

What was ugly?

His parents almost not making it to the wedding at all.  They were supposed to arrive the Thursday before the ceremony(was on a Sat) and his mom got soooo sick on the flight from PHX to Houston(layover there, then would have taken connecting flight to Florida) that she had to be wheeled off the plane by a medic!! They obviously couldn’t make connecting flight(their luggage did however) and airline put them up in a hotel at the airport.  She was so sick from it they had to take a cab to a doctor there for prescription motion sickness meds.  They didn’t arrive in Florida until 2:30 pm…HOURS before our 5:15 ceremony.  They had to get their luggage, rental car, drive the 30 minutes to Destin, check in and change(they had no clothes the entire time in Houston).  I thought for sure they were not gonna make it.  It was the black cloud over us for sure.  When we first talked to them Thursday night they made it sound like they may not come at all and I seriously cried for like 3 hours cause I just knew our wedding was now ruined. The most important thing in planning our wedding was having both our parents there.  This would have absolutely CRUSHED him and all I kept thinking was how he wasn’t gonna be happy on his wedding day cause he would be thinking how his parents were not there.

They made it like 10 minutes before the ceremony and we ended up with the perfect beach ceremony we pictured.  If anything…it really put things into perspective for me and made me not stress over silly minor details.  However, it did kinda suck that day while getting ready.  Cause even though I’m excited and happy, a part of me was worried all day about his parents and I was chomping tums like candy because of it and pacing my condo like a mad women while getting ready.  I literally did not know their flight had made it in until less than an hour away from the ceremony, his parents didn’t think they should text one of us the moment they landed so that we wouldn’t be worried.

Post # 13
2363 posts
Buzzing bee

Perfect: Our wedding day.  Period.  I felt more beautiful, more loved, and more in love, than I ever imagined.  It was the happiest day of my life.

Excellent: Pretty much everything else!  Our intimate, unique venue; our traditional vows; cocktail hour, especially the poke tuna hors d’oeuvre and our Concord grape signature cocktail; heartfelt, yet funny, toasts from our family and friends; tuning out the whole world during our first dance; screaming at the after party when we saw our wedding announcement in the Sunday paper.

Good: The weather.  It was a crisp, sunny fall day, but it was colder than we’d anticipated.  I ended up wearing a cardigan for the walk from the hotel to the venue, and it doesn’t look great in pictures.

Bad: We didn’t have time to greet all of our guests during dinner.

Ugly:  I posted a separate thread about this, but I had an allergic reaction the night before the wedding.  I ended up needing steroids!  Fortunately the swelling went down by our 7pm start time, but it was, literally, ugly right up until the wedding.

The topic ‘October 2012 Brides- Perfect, Excellent, Good, Bad and Ugly’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors