(Closed) October 2012 Brides- Show us your venue’s

posted 10 years ago in October 2012
Post # 33
60 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

Fun!  I love seeing all the beautiful places that people decide to get married in!

Where is your ceremony venue? The Redstone Room at the River Music Experience in Davenport, IA.  It’s not at all a traditional wedding space – it’s actually a concert venue.  RME is a non-profit organization that promotes local music and music education in my hometown area.  

Where is your reception venue? Same. We have the Redstone Room plus the whole 2nd floor lobby area, so we’ll use the Room for the ceremony, shoo guests into the lobby for cocktails and mingling, and then let them back into the main room for dinner after it’s been switched into reception mode.

Show us your venue? Sure!  Here’s the website, but I’ll add a couple pictures at the end too.  http://www.rivermusicexperience.org/Venues/Redstone-Room.aspx

How did you find it? I’ve gone to shows there for years and always loved the atmosphere and their organization’s mission and was pretty excited when I found out they are available for weddings too! 

Is this everything you dreamed in a venue?  Yes it absolutely is for both of us! 

Why did you chose this venue?  The atmosphere is super awesome.  It’s a great blend of urban architecture and river roots culture (Davenport is on the Mississippi River which has a long and glorious musical history).  My fiance loves it for the state of the art sound system that our DJ (a mutual friend of ours) will be able to use.  My fiance’s top reception priority was having a rocking dance party, and our friend has always wanted to DJ here so we were thrilled to give him the opportunity.

What made this venue stand out from the rest? We knew we wanted a non-hotel wedding, so we pretty much looked exclusively venues off the beaten path – art galleries, museums, etc.  But since we both are musicians and love music, this one was the natural choice.  And we love that our money is going to a cause that we both support.

Was this venue in your budget? Yep, fortunately!  I was a bit silly and got my heart set on it before I knew the price, so even if it had been out of budget, I think we would be getting married there anyway…  Luckily they fit exactly in our budget!

Post # 34
60 posts
Worker bee

HummusGal — That is so cool!  I love the idea of a wedding at a nature center.

Post # 35
125 posts
Blushing bee

@actime:  Yes, we get a discounted rate for our Out of Town guests. I don’t know how many people will plan to stay yet. We get a block of 10 rooms to start with I think, and if more people start booking we can add more rooms. Many of our guests live within 30-45 mins of the location so I don’t know if they’ll stay or not. The wedding is at 2pm and is over by like 8:30-9 so it would still be early enough for them to drive home if they had to work on Monday. We’ll see! 

Post # 38
25 posts
Newbee

@Hydra:  Thanks girl!! Sounds like we both set out to find something unique and won! Your venue has so much style, I love it!! It will make your day even more memorable πŸ™‚

Post # 39
1150 posts
Bumble bee

@tonights:  Droooooooooooooooooooool! It’s beautiful. πŸ™‚

Post # 40
125 posts
Blushing bee

@actime:  Yeah, at our venue Sundays were about 1-2k cheaper than Fri/Sat evenings. Plus, my cousin’s birthday is the 19th and my mom’s is the 20th so we wanted a day all to our selves!! haha

I knew for a very long time that I wanted a day/afternoon wedding because I used to be the Front Desk Supervisor at a hotel that did weddings and if I worked Friday/Saturday evenings I was the MOD (manager on duty) and I had to stay until the last person was out of the ballroom. Some nights I wouldn’t get home until 12:30 or 1 and have to be up early the next morning to be back at work. I didn’t want to do that to the banquet servers for my wedding. lol

I don’t think night weddings are bad at all, if we were having our reception at a place that wasn’t a hotel I probably would have done an evening wedding. I’ve been to plenty of evening weddings and they’re always a blast, I just knew that I didn’t want one. 

I’m sure some people will stay the night, I’m figuring a bunch of people will head to the restaurant or something after the reception for an “After Party”. 

Post # 42
721 posts
Busy bee

We have a different venue for our ceremony and reception so I’ll share both πŸ™‚

Ceremony:

Where is your ceremony venue? Symmes Chapel aka Pretty Place

Show us your venue? 

How did you find it? This is a pretty well known place around here and my college roommate got married here a couple of years ago.

Is this everything you dreamed in a venue? Absolutely. I always though we would do our ceremony and reception in the same place but after I moved here and heard of Pretty Place I knew I would get married there. Lucky for me Fiance felt the same way πŸ™‚

Why did you chose this venue? We love the idea of getting married in the mountains and an open air chapel on top of a mountain is very much representative of who we are. 

What made is venue stand out from the rest? Honestly, we only looked into one other venue because we know we wanted to get married here. It’s tucked away on top of a mountain and it has an outdoor feel but it’s covered so we don’t have to worry about rain.

Was this venue in your budget? We actually built our budget around our venues. So techincally both venues are in budget but we cut other things to make our budget work.

Reception:

Where is your ceremony venue? Larkin’s Sawmill in Downtown Greenville, SC

Show us your venue?

How did you find it? Sawmill is owned by a restaurant group that has several venues and we found out about this one while researching another one.

Is this everything you dreamed in a venue? For the most part. I was picturing exposed brick and wood floors but when we walked into this venue (which is a renovated sawmill) it just felt right! 

Why did you chose this venue? This venue has everything we wanted. It’s got the perfect setting for our “fancy bbq” reception. It also has two rooms. The picture shows the main room which is where we’ll have dinner and then there is a patio room where we’ll have the DJ, dance floor, second bar and possibly a photobooth. The best thing about the patio room is that there are accordion style windows along two full sides so if it’s nice out we can open them up which gives the outdoor feel we really want.

What made is venue stand out from the rest? Other than “the feeling” and the number of points it hit on our wish list, the catering coordinator there was fantastic. She immediately jumped on the same page and told us everything we could do there that goes with our theme (hello, mason jars for non-alcoholic beverages!). I cannot wait to work with her more and more throughout the process!

Post # 44
721 posts
Busy bee

@actime:  Thanks! A vast majority of our guests are going to be OOT’ers as well so we rented a bus that will take them from their hotel, to the ceremony and back to the reception venue. Our ceremony venue and reception venue are about an hour apart (the only downside to having the ceremony there) but it’s a really pretty drive and we’re providing transportation so we think it’ll be fine. The reception venue is just a few blocks from the hotel that most guests are staying at too.

Post # 45
139 posts
Blushing bee

@MrsFeatherbottom:  I love the open air chapel – simply stunning!  What time of day are planning on holding the ceremony?

Post # 46
721 posts
Busy bee

@bumblepup:  The ceremony will be around 5ish. We’ve been to a couple of weddings up there around that time during the same time of year and it’s always perfect!

The topic ‘October 2012 Brides- Show us your venue’s’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors