Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

Holy smokes $400?!

Would she be ok having a friend officiate? That’s way cheaper

Post # 4
199 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2009

You can look on craigslist, I got mine for $150. Go with people who don’t do wedding for a living because usually they are more expensive, my lady has an actual job and does weddings as hobby. Good luck.  

Post # 5
2144 posts
Buzzing bee

Yeah, I’d look into a friend or someone else getting ordained online and it will be cheaper. I have no idea what they go for in NYC because I didn’t look, but I do know that someone in Indiana was going to charge me $350, and if he couldn’t do it, he said he knew other people who could but they cost a bit more. I got mine for $150. I can’t believe they charge so much!! I was floored when he told me $350… If it’s $350 in Indiana, I can’t imagine how much it is in NYC!

Post # 6
7 posts
Newbee

Hi there,my friend will be officially Officiated with NYC at the end of June because he will be marrying me and my fiance. I can ask him if he would do it for $400? Does that work for you? He was ordained online by the Universal Life Church and he is not religious at all. And NYC recognizes it so let me know.

Post # 7
118 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

NYC is a little tough because you can’t just get a friend to be ordained, they need to registered with the city as well.  When you do find someone, make sure to get their registration number, and contact City Hall just to double check that they are officially registered (or ask to see a copy of their certificate).

I’d reccomend perhaps checking out Craigs List and putting an ad up with the info and your budget.  Officiants can be expensive, especially in the city – I think a good range is from $350 to $700+ , but it depends on travel time, complexity of the ceremony, etc, etc.  Every officiant is different, and you get what you pay for.  If she just wants someone to pronounce them married – she could absolutely get that for $300 – but if she wants a custom ceremony, or something a little more personalized, it may cost more.

I perform weddings in NYC, but it would probably be more than $400, depending on the date and specific location.  I am awesome, though 🙂

Post # 8
27 posts
Newbee

We found an officiant through a local ministry. We only have to pay a nominal "donation" to their church for his services. I’d do a search of local community groups and contact a few of them to see if any pastors perform these services.

Post # 9
7 posts
Newbee

Sorry i meant at the end of JUne because I am personally going with him to City hall to officially registered so yea we WILL be married legally

Post # 10
25 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: July 2009

I found mine on craigslist. She’s  quoted me $300 for a bilingual ceremony at the Queens Botanical Garden.

Send me a private message for her info if you’re interested.

Post # 11
883 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2009

Holy Smokes!!  This makes me very thankful for our priest.  It was a $100 donation to the church and we gave him a small personal gift.

Post # 12
14186 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

Does the garden have a "common officiant" that they use? Our location does, he’s the "preferred:" prist and he’s really nice. He’s sr pastor at a baptist church but scaled everything WAY back for us. he’s pretty much non-denom to us. He never brings up touchy subjects. He was, i believe, $185 b/c he was preferred. In the midwest, big difference…but a "preferred" person may be cheaper b/c of all the business they bring!

Post # 13
149 posts
Blushing bee

whoa…$400. 

We found ours for $75 (and this includes all customization), and she is absolutely wonderful, and has been so easy to communicate with! Then again, the wedding is in Florida not NY!

The topic ‘Officiant for less than $400’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors