Post # 1
I don’t know if you guys remember how I posted about how the speakeasy my fiance and I were going to have our reception at cancelled on us because their owner died. I was super upset and we ended up finding another venue that I didn’t like as much but am still alright with.
WELL we were in there last night (it’s a restaurant) and one of the bartenders that we know well was telling us that the restaurant is having lots of financial trouble and may go out of business. This was confirmed by a second bartender that one of our friends knows as well.
My fiance suggested that we find a back up venue in case this place goes out of business. At this point I’m not even upset because this restaurant was my second choice anyway.
What would you do? Would you pick a new place to have on the backburner? Would you ride it out? I told him that we should back out now and get our deposit back immediately because if they do go out of business I don’t want to have to fight them for it.
Why does this keep happening??
Post # 3
- Wedding: March 2010 - Calamigos Ranch
OMG you have the worst luck with venues! I am torn between waiting it out and getting your deposit back now… the money might be the least of your problems if they go out of business in three months! How will you find another venue that fast?
Post # 4
If you don’t love the place, I’d find something more stable and book that instead
Post # 5
I’d look for something else too. One that you know can last at least a few more months. Are you sure you’ll be able to get the deposit back?
Post # 6
If it were me, I wouldn’t be able to stop worrying about it, since your wedding is in March. It seems like you never liked the place that much. Why don’t you look into other venues for a week or so before you ask for the deposit back? Maybe you’ll find something you love. Good luck!
Post # 7
Definitely find another place – and ask about their finances too! With so many business going under these days, I think those questions are perfectly fine.
And I’m speaking from experience – my bridal salon filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy before I got my dress – and I never got my deposit back!
Post # 8
Getting our deposit back now won’t be a problem. Our contract says that we can cancel up to 30 days before the date. (they’re a restaurant so they’re much more flexible than a typical wedding venue)
Post # 9
Look for a new place. You weren’t really wild about the restaurant to begin with, and if you still have time to find a place you love, that would be the best option. You shouldn’t have to scramble to find another venue, or worse, constantly worry that you’ll have to scramble to find another venue.
Dive into looking for a place that you’re in love with. It happened before, it can happen again!
Post # 10
aw Nexus — I remember you telling this at HH! I would honestly get your deposit back and perhaps wait a little closer to your date to finalize another venue. Smaller bar/resturant venues run this risk all the time – playing musical chairs with them is not fun.
Post # 11
I would reccomend the same as @gabgal…get the deposit back and pick another place, the easiest would be another venue that is larger/sharper contracts
Post # 12
If you didnt like it taht much anyway – try adn get your money back and find some place you do like.