(Closed) Ohh about 100 questions…

posted 6 years ago in TTC
Post # 3
1766 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

Congratulations on you decision to TTC soon. This is a very exciting time! πŸ™‚

You don’t have to go to a doctor before you TTC, especially if you don’t have any health concerns. This might be a good time for you to start taking prenatal vitamins, though.

Are you not having PAPs anyway? I didn’t schedule a pre TTC appointment, but mentioned during a PAP that we were starting to TTC. All my women doc said was basically “Oh, that’s great! Here is a prescription for prenatals”. So that was a bit disappointing, but I heard many had a similar experience, while others had an actual exam and got a lot of good advice. I also talked to my PCP about it, and she was much more helpful, asked me about lifestyle, medical history, and vaccines, and gave me a flu shot. It really depends on your doctor.

Once you are pregnant, you pick a doctor based on the hospital where you want to deliver, and you will have your prenatal appointments with that doctor.

Post # 4
515 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2011 - Clark Gardens

Do you usually go to a doctor before you start to TTC? I asked my regular physician what to do whenever we were ready to start TTC. She said to just finsih up a cycle of pills, and then not start another one the following month. 

What kind of doctor, an OBGYN or your regular doctor? I set up a pre-conception appointment with an OBGYN because I wanted to establish a relationship with one (my regular doc always did my pap smears so I never had an OBGYN before).

If you did see a doctor before you TTC, did they tell you bascially everything you already knew? I had some specific questions like “Is my prenatal vitamin a good one?” “Can I still continue my hot yoga practice when I get pregnant?” Other than that, he told me the same kind of information I could find online, but it was nice to hear it from a real, live profressional. 

If you went to an OBGYN did you have a PAP and pelvic exam during your pre ttc apointment? I read that once you are pregnant they do that during your first visit? Yes, I had a pap smear, blood work, updated vaccines (DTAP) and genetic testing done at my pre-conception appointment, at my request. Since I got pregnant so soon after my pre-conception appointment (2 months later), I didn’t need to repeat these tests. 

Once you are pregnant do you continue to get see your OBGYN for apoinments or regular doctor? I haven’t seen my regular doctor once since I’ve been pregnant. I attend all appointments through my OB. 

Hope that helps!

Post # 5
607 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

Congrats on TTC soon! 

I can give you my own experience to answer your questions, but it does seem to be different for everyone. 

I see a GYN (not OBGYN) as my PCP and GYN, so when I had my yearly appointment, I mentioned that we would be TTC before the  next appointment. I had brought in information about my multivitamin and she said it was fine to continue taking that until we actually TTC, when I’ll start a prenatal, and we discussed medications that I currently take and what I should or shouldn’t take when pregnant (basic things like Advil, Sudafed, etc). She also said to give myself one full cycle off the pill before trying, but I have heard others say start right away or allow 3 months. To be honest, a lot of what she told me I already  knew from the internet, etc, but like highwire said, it’s nice to hear it from a real  medical professional. I didn’t have a pap because of the new guidelines (1 every 3 years, so she likes to do it every other) but she did a regular pelvic, like she would for a regular annual exam. 

We are going to start trying shortly before I’m due for my next annual appointment, so I plan to make an appointment with a midwife who I’d want to see for prenatal care. That way, even if I’m not pregnant, I’ll start a relationship with someone who I would continue seeing. 

Post # 7
5977 posts
Bee Keeper

Hooray for you TTC soon! Here’s what I did:

Do you usually go to a doctor before you start to TTC? I asked at my yearly GYN visit about TTC within the next few months. My doctor was great…just told me to stop the pill and that I could try anytime after that. When I wasn’t pregnant by my next yearly, he was reassuring that it takes most couples at least 6 months and just made sure I was taking a prenatal vitamin. 

What kind of doctor, an OBGYN or your regular doctor? It was my OBGYN. I actually didn’t have a regular doctor at the time…so the OBGYN was the only doctor for me to talk to!

If you did see a doctor before you TTC, did they tell you bascially everything you already knew? Pretty much so…I mean, my doctor didn’t do anything special. I also didn’t set up a specific pre-conception appointment or anything…just did it at my annual.

If you went to an OBGYN did you have a PAP and pelvic exam during your pre ttc apointment? I read that once you are pregnant they do that during your first visit? Again…just went for my annual which is what they do there anyway, so nothing different in that department. When I did get pregnant, they ended up doing another PAP, but it was b/c I was due for one in like 2 days.

Once you are pregnant do you continue to get see your OBGYN for apoinments or regular doctor? I see my OB now only. The thing is, there are about 6 or 7 OBs in the practice that I go to see. So whoever is on call the day/night I go into labor is going to be the doctor delivering my baby. So I try to make an appointment with a different doctor each time I go so that I can get to know them. Of course, everyone has their favorite doctor (mine is my orginal OBGYN b/c he saw us through our miscarriage and D&C), but it’s a craps shoot on if you’ll get that doctor if there are a few in your practice.

Post # 9
65 posts
Worker bee

@ButterflyDoll:  These are not dumb questions!I am not TTC but had the same questions and now I’m preggers so I’ll try to help:

Do you usually go to a doctor before you start to TTC? I didn’t, but know some people do. 

What kind of doctor, an OBGYN or your regular doctor? I think OB unless you have a problem that you know of (hopefully not!)…

If you did see a doctor before you TTC, did they tell you bascially everything you already knew?  didn’t see one, but I can tell you, when I did get pregnant, the first visit was a complete waste of time. I heard what I already knew. 

If you went to an OBGYN did you have a PAP and pelvic exam during your pre ttc apointment? I haven’t been to an OB for about 6 years before I got pregnant.

I read that once you are pregnant they do that during your first visit? Once you are pregnant do you continue to get see your OBGYN for apoinments or regular doctor? I am at Kaiser and they actually ask you after week 14 or so if you want to keep seeing an OB or a midwife till your due date.

Good luck!

The topic ‘Ohh about 100 questions…’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors