(Closed) Oil change every 3,000 miles?

posted 6 years ago in The Lounge
Post # 3
1719 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

My Fiance is a grease monkey and an engineer.  He believes that we do no need to follow the 3k mi oil change.  If there a oil gauge (I have an 2008 Civic that has a gauge), you should check to see how much percentage of oil you actually burned.  You should also check the dipstick, too, to see how much oil you’ve burned.  I would wait until 3k mi. BUT if you’re feeling anxious, I would just change the oil for peace of mind.

I hope this helps!

Post # 4
Hostess
18643 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

My husband is also an engineer and a car geek and we change maybe every 5k or 7k not 3k like the oil recommends.

Post # 5
4275 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

I know that Jiffy Lube has the option of not following 3k anymore unless you are in constant stop and go traffic.

Post # 6
2065 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: December 2011

Read your car’s manual, it should give you the recommended mileage somewhere in there. Mine recommends an oil change every 5000 miles, so I go with that and ignore the 3 month thing.

Post # 7
1895 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

I say wait until 3K miles. I drive alot, b/c of work and i wait until its atleast 2k over that recommened 3k mark =(… but then again my car is a POS…<- could be why. lol

Post # 8
1513 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

i think its supposed to be a “whichever one comes first” type thing. i hardley ever drive my car, like maybe 6,000-8,000 miles a year and i always let it go way beyond 3 months.

i also get synthetic oil in my car though, so i technically can go 5k miles. i usually only change  it when my dad, my brother or my Fiance pesters me to the point that i cant take it anymore. there are so many better things to spend $75 on!

Post # 9
9672 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2012

I use synthetic oil and have it changed every 4-5K miles.  I’ve had it changed at 3K and the guy said it was crystal clear and didn’t really need it that often.

Post # 10
680 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: February 2012

We change both our cars at 5k miles too.

Post # 11
4313 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

It’s whichever comes first.  Checking your oil is really easy too.  All you need is a paper towel to wipe the dipstick on.

Post # 12
206 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

Yeap, agreed. It’s which ever comes first. And if you’re not sure you should check your oil level on your dipstick. Make sure to take it out, wipe it, put it back in, take it out and check it. Also, usually the color should be golden or close to the color it went in as, not black… that would be bad.

Post # 13
11234 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2013

@misspeanut:  Ooh, I’m going to check mine.

The 3k/3 months thing has been around foreverrrrr because you used to HAVE to change it then. Oils now are made much better, and it’s unnecessary to change them so often.

Post # 14
46388 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

Your car’s owner manual will specify what you should do for your car.

Post # 15
2393 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: December 2009

@Bichon Frise:  I would go w/ the 3k rule.  I’m the same as you.  Sometimes I don’t drive a whole lot, so it may take longer to get to 3k.  As long as you are regularly checking your oil and make sure it’s at a good level, you are good to go!

Post # 16
5496 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: April 2010

I only change mine every 5,000-6,000 miles. Most cars do not need the oil changed so often, as in the past.

The topic ‘Oil change every 3,000 miles?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors