(Closed) Questions on Name Change

posted 6 years ago in Names
Post # 3
1461 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2012


1. That seems the right order to me. I do have a bank account I haven’t changed, but I also haven’t changed my passport, becuase I’m not 100% sure, but if I have to pay for a whole new passport with a name change I’ll just wait until it expires, too expensive!

2. I am pretty sure you can mail everying for the SS office. I don’t know where you live, but we live in a medium sized town and we have an office. If you happen to go anywhere with one, it was so easy just to do it in person. 

3. I had one place, the Native Hawaiian Registry, ask for a certified copy. But, I sent it to them and they sent it back to me. I think I may have taken it to get my name changed at my University as well, but there haven’t been any problems. The SS office actually accepted our decorative liscense I believe. 

4. It probably took a couple of weeks, though it culd have been done in less time had I not been lazy and drug it out. I don’t know how much it matters for taxes. I’d probably get it changed before just to make things easier. 

5. I think our liscense has my new name, but I’m not sure, that’s a weird one.

Good luck!

Post # 4
104 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

How I did it was:

Got the REAL copy of marriage licence (this happens up to 2 months after the wedding)

Went to the SS office IN PERSON, they wanna see the marriage licence and your ID

Got my SS card in the mail (took like 3 days)

Changed my name on my bank account when I got added to my hubby’s account

Have yet to update my driver’s licence but it automatically got updated in their system after the SS office changed it so that’s not that big of a deal (except sometimes when trying to use my credit card)

Basically make sure you get your SS card changed first, before doing that you wont be able to change anything else.

Post # 6
1427 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

@sienna76:  Apparently you have to go in person (at least here in California) they want to see you in person with picture ID along with the wedding certificate (raised seal one). You get to keep your marriage certificate. You’d also have to do your DL next since some banks/places require two forms of ID in order to change your name. Don’t forget your passport too!

Post # 7
646 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

When I changed my name I completed each of these in order but I could have done everything in one day, once I had a certified copy of my marriage license. I don’t know why I thought the DMV and the bank would want to see my name on my SS card, etc, but all anyone asked for was a marriage license. I only needed one copy for all of these and still have it in my posession.

(I live in California.)

The topic ‘Questions on Name Change’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors