(Closed) Older & waiting TTC???

posted 8 years ago in Babies
  • poll: Would you wait to TTC for a year or two if it meant you could stay at home with the baby?
    Yes, I would take the gamble & wait even if I'll be a new mom at 40 : (13 votes)
    31 %
    No, I'd rather start now & deal with finances & daycare : (29 votes)
    69 %
  • Post # 3
    4137 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: May 2011

moms over 35 are considered high-risk, so i don’t know if there’s much of a difference between 37 and 40 pregnancy-wise. i would have a talk with your doctor and a complete physical work-up.

that being said, there is no perfect time to have a baby so don’t stress yourself out with too much planning!

Post # 4
    1523 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: September 2010

My opinion is that no one is ever in a perfect place to have a baby. If you are financially stable, I would start now rather than later. I honestly think all of us have some debt and other issues, but you can spend your time TTC and your pregnancy getting a financial plan in place.

If nothing else go get a check-up with your OB/GYN now. Getting pregnant in your late 30s and early 40s can be difficult for some people. I would want to know now if there are going to be any issues getting pregnant.

One final thing is that the older you are, the higher risk you carry for birth defects in the baby.

Good luck in your decision!

Post # 5
    1030 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: May 2011

I saw my doc yesterday and asked the same question (I’ll be 33 when we marry but we’re not quite ready to start TTC yet) – yes, once you get past 35, every year counts. There is a significant difference in risk, unfortunately ๐Ÿ™ Also I’m of the school of thought that “no time is the perfect time” to have kids, there’s never enough money, always other things to do, etc… I’d go for it sooner rather than later and your debt will take a little longer to pay off, but will probably be worth it in the end to try sooner.

Post # 6
    6009 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: May 2009

Personally, I would wait.  There’s not much of a difference (physically) in getting pregnant at 37 versus getting pregnant at 38, but it sounds like the extra year would make a big difference in your finances, lifestyle, and opportunities.  Of course, this is coming from someone who wishes she was at home with her baby right now instead of at work.  ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 7
    1016 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: April 2010

I’m 33 and we got married in April.  We started TTC in the past couple months. If I had a crystal ball that said we would have no trouble conceiving at all I would have probably waited another year but since I don’t we decided to try.  If I were a couple years older I’d probably feel the same way but it’s such a personal decision.  I hope your decision works out for the best either way!

Post # 8
    558 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: June 2011

I’m not in my 30’s yet, but it is very important to Fiance and I that we wait until we are financially stable enough to have one of us at home with our child the majority of the time. If that means waiting until or past the mid-30’s, so be it.  Daycare options are a personal choice, but I already know I won’t feel comfortable unless Fiance and I are the primary people who raise our child (I mean, I get sad thinking about leaving my DOG at home all day; I couldn’t leave my baby!).

(and by the way, sorry–I just re-read your question and realized I didn’t really answer it; I was commenting more on the poll :))

Post # 9
    2410 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: July 2011

Hmmm, I say go for it. I have seen what the stress of trying to conceive can do to older couples who are ready but happen to be having some difficulty. It sounds like you are reasonably financially stable, so I don’t see why you would wait to be honest.

Post # 10
    536 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: September 2007

I agree with previous posters that if you decide to wait a couple more years, it would probably be beneficial to talk to your OB/Gyn about it and try to take care of any medical issues or questions you may have, and also for you to start charting or otherwise getting to know your cycle, so that when you decide it is time to start trying, you’ll have a better idea of how to time your “attempts.” You could also look at that time as an opportunity to practice healthy eating and exercise habits so that by the time you are looking to conceive, you’re in a great place physically as well as financially.

Post # 11
    2090 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: August 2010

If 1 year would drastically change you financial situation then personally, I would wait the year until your debt is cleared, but its very important to me and my husband to try to be in the best place financially that we can be before having children.

We have several friends who have either gotten pregnant or had children recently without trouble – all mothers (and fathers) were over 40 and got pregnant quickly and had healthy, lovely, chubby babies! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Post # 12
    2866 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: September 2010

I think that a year is such a short period of time that I wouldn’t wait, it would be different if you needed at least 3 or 4 years to get right financially.

Statically women over 35 have a decrease in fertility and an increase in chances of miscarriage or birth defects. Based on that it could take you longer than a year to get pregnant so even if you started trying now it may not happen as quickly as you think. Of course every woman is different so you might be good on your first try.

I’d say talk to your OB/GYN about it – at least they could do some tests and make sure that you don’t have any issues that may effect your fertility and they could also help you prepare your body so that you have a better change of conceiving (losing or gaining weight, quitting smoking or drinking, charting etc)

Post # 13
    1508 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: October 2009

I can’t decide for you, but I will mention what we are doing.  I was 36 when we got married last year and I decided that I wanted to be married at least a year before we tried, we had only been together about two years and we had not lived together prior to Marriage. I’m 37 and change and thinking about going off the pill next month, I would like to wait longer but I’m a bit afraid to. My sister is having trouble conceiving her second at 34 almost 35 and my mom had an early Hystrectomy at 32. Also my materal Aunt had PCOS.  We are in good financial shanpe but we are stuck in a condo that my husband owned which is under water. We can afford the mortgage but not the loss to sell or the monthly loss since rents in our complex are nowhere near the monthly mortgage. So many things to think about. It sometimes sucks to have gotten married older.

Post # 15
    202 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: November 2010

@shelbifox15: I am so happy for you that you were able to find the perfect man. The same thing happened to me, and it is hard to leave. I’m sorry you went through that. I turned 37 in July and right now I am waiting to find out if I’m pg (early in the 2WW still so maybe/maybe not). We did not want to wait because I have a history of miscarriages from my ex. We both have decent jobs and not a lot of debt but we don’t own a home yet or anything, and I don’t care. I don’t strive for a lot of material things (by that I mean the most expensive cars or clothes and things like that.), and I just want to have good jobs and not live check to check. We are good there, so we are not waiting. The other reason is that we want to have more than 1 so every year counts! I don’t know if you’ve considered that or if you only want one child or just see what happens, but that is another big factor for us. I want 2 or 3 and Fiance would have as many as possible. haha Not gonna happen, but I hope to get 2 at least but would love 3! And I don’t want multiples. I don’t know what will happen, but these are my reasons for not waiting. Sometimes you just have to take a leap of faith and go for it. But if it’s not right for you right now and you don’t feel comfortable going for it, I don’t think one year is the end of the world. I think you should definitely get off the pill now, because your cycle may not regulate right away. Maybe even take up charting to see how things are working and get with your doctor for a pre TTC appointment. I don’t know where you live, so I can’t speak for the renting issue, but I wouldn’t think you would have trouble keeping a renter if you needed to. I know it’s hard though, because good renters can be hard to find. Good luck with whatever you decide. And congratulations on your happy marriage!

Post # 16
    7081 posts
    Busy Beekeeper
    • Wedding: July 2009

Not everyone is like me, but I was 38 when we decided to finally go for it.  We got pregnant in our first month of trying.  We expected it to be a year long process.

If you are talking risk of birth defects, yes, they increase every year… but many of us older first time moms are willing to take that risk in order to conceive under optimal circumstances.

We thought we were going to wait another year until we were more established before we had the baby, but it turns out in retrospect that our timing was perfect.  By straddling two jobs with my maternity leave, I ended up getting a 4 month leave instead of the 12 weeks we anticipated.  It’s incredibly hard to be back at work, but I always knew I wouldn’t be a stay at home mom.

The topic ‘Older & waiting TTC???’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors