(Closed) Older People & Divorcees – Plus ones?

posted 8 years ago in Etiquette
Post # 3
2398 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2010

Instead of singling out a specific age group, perhaps it would be better to apply a strict standard to all plus ones?  Maybe limit the guest option only to those in actual relationships, regardless of age?

Post # 5
2781 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

I just wanted to say, you don’t “have” to give plus 1s to anyone. We have a fair few single friends coming to our celebrations and we haven’t given them a plus one. They might know 1 other person at the wedding but they still have something in common with everyone there, they’re there to celebrate our marriage. I have no doubt that they’ll get spoken to and have a good time.

If you’re really against limiting your plus 1s then I suggest only giving them to people who are in relationships and who won’t know anyone else and not giving them to single family members or people who will know a lot of the other guests.

Post # 7
2781 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

Hehe, fair enough. I go with what I said 2nd then. Only give them out to people in relationships and your single friends who won’t know anyone and see if that cuts your guest list down some. And then stop adding to your guestlist! ๐Ÿ˜‰ Guest lists are so easy to balloon out of control.

Post # 8
318 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: February 2011

They might know 1 other person at the wedding but they still have something in common with everyone there, they’re there to celebrate our marriage.

You know the people involved, so personality wise that may be fine.  But I just have to mention that as a very introverted person this would make me extremely uncomfortable.  I have come to HATE social situations where I am expected to mingle with people I don’t know or barely know.  It comes up often for me with a non-profit group that I helped to start- so obviously I have things in common with the people there, but I still hate going and will stay as short as possible before leaving.  It is much easier for me to attend an event with Fiance or a friend.  It calms me.  Otherwise it is kind of a panic situation for me.

It would not matter to me how happy I was for the bride as she is going to be busy most of the day, so if I got an invite to come alone, I would probably decline.

The topic ‘Older People & Divorcees – Plus ones?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors