(Closed) OMG Bees please advice?! Dreaded ex UGHHH

posted 5 years ago in Emotional
Post # 3
2863 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

@StarIzInkd:  ….. all you have to do is go to the county clerk’s office that the divorce was filed in. 

Post # 4
1348 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

agreed with the pp…go tothe clerks office. you might be able to request them online.

Post # 5
302 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2015

 LOL you’re stressing too much- go to (or contact) the county clerk where the divorce was filed and get a copy! you can get copies of all legal paperwork, like birth certificates, too 🙂

Post # 6
14658 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

I agree.  It’s gotta be just like any other legal docs, you must be able to request it from the town or state.  There’s no way a legal doc would be held by a single person only and not an official office.


Post # 8
1844 posts
Buzzing bee

your fh will need to be the one to pick them up but this shouldn’t take mote than a phone call to yhe cout house for the “how to” portion of all this.

Post # 9
756 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

It seems like your Fiance could get them from the County Courthouse. But I doubt you can get them. I’m sure he would have to. 

Post # 10
2945 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

Why is she asking for money?  Does he still owe her some thing according to the divorce?

He will need to be the one contacting for any papers.  Did he have a lawyer?  He can ask them too.

Post # 11
3774 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

…You don’t need to call for instructions. Your fiance has to drive to the county court house of the county in which his divorce was processed. Once inside the courthouse, he needs to go to the clerk’s office. There will most like be a sign that says VITAL RECORDS. This is the same place where he got his marriage license. Super quick and easy.

Post # 12
9952 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2012

Been there… done that.

My Ex was a HUGE JERK… he had to pay for our Final Divorce Decree as per our last day in court… but guess what, he then HELD ONTO ALL THAT PAPERWORK (like your situation… anything to be a PITA… my ass)

And ya, my research led me to discover after my Divorce, that for an Original I needed to fork out several hundred dollars (money I did not have)

But the last laugh was on me in the end…

Cause you can get by without if you are lucky.

You need to read the “fine print”… are they looking for the Divorce Decris (the legal document) or will they be satisfied with just a Divorce Certificate

HUGE Difference.

A copy of the Decree, tends to cost BIG BUCKS to get from the Courts

A copy of a Certified Divorce Certificate a lot less, and can easily be obtained from the Courthouse where the Divorce was granted.

The Certified Divorce Certificate is just a statement that says… “Ya we granted them a Divorce on Date XYZ”

Example, in my case I was able to get the latter for a mere $ 20.  And cause it had all the required stamps & seals, it was sufficient to use for my Marriage License in my chosen State (Florida)

Hope this helps,

~~Sending you good vibes~~


Post # 13
12247 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: May 2013

They should have it on record and be able to print it off for you!

Just go to your town clerk’s office tomorrow (if they’re open) or Monday (if they’re not)

Post # 14
1844 posts
Buzzing bee

Keep in mind that Monday is Veteran’s Day.  Here in MI, all of the gov’t offices are closed, to include our county court house.  Since it is a federal holiday, I”m sure different states will handle that differently.

Post # 15
973 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

Not sure where the ex fits in.

Divorce is public record, like marriage, birth, and death in the USA.. your post shows you’re here so I’m going to assume he is too?

If so it’s just a matter (as others have said) of contacting the county the divorce happened in and paying a small fee to get the document, usually you can get the full divorce decree for a small processing type fee usually well under $50.

Don’t waste time with the ex… she can’t produce certfied copies anyhow if that’s what you need.

 @This Time Round:  I had no idea court records were so hard to get in Canada! 🙁  Sorry you went through that!

The topic ‘OMG Bees please advice?! Dreaded ex UGHHH’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors