(Closed) OMG PRICE of FLOWERS! R U KIDDING ME?! Advice Please:)

posted 8 years ago in Food
Post # 32
7991 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2013

@BrideToBe14:  our tables looked like this. these pictures were taken pre-wedding so the lights are still on in the room.  so you don’t get the full effect of the tables.

and

Post # 35
728 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

@BrideToBe14:  I wasn’t too worried, although some of the white roses were a little more open then the others, and that made it harder to arrange the bouquet because some of the heads were so much bigger.  But I was impressed by how well they held up from Thursday to Saturday – I think keeping them hydrated and in the basement helped.

Post # 36
957 posts
Busy bee

She probably can get flowers for less than Sam’s club. A lot of the price comes from labor and overhead.

Post # 37
2031 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

I doubt a florist would do that unless it is a small business just starting out.  

I paid 700 including taxes and setup fees for my bouquet, 3 Bridesmaid or Best Man bouquets, 2 mini bouquets for the moms, 1 corsage, 5 honorary bridesmaids flowers, 10 bouts, and 1 very large floral piece for the church that will get moved to the reception.  

I was planning on doing the whole Sams club thing and asking my cousin who is super creative to arrange them.   She happened to have a florist friend who is getting the flowers wholesale and helping her arrange them.  I’m hoping on spending 300 max on all the tablepieces.  I got really lucky with that one, but honestly I think a couple creative people should be able to arrange them just fine.  

Post # 38
8700 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: May 2013

Watch out–some reviewers have said that the roses come with thorns still attached!

I went with grocery store flowers and arranged them myself. I got 5 dozen roses and about 10 dozen other flowers for $150, and it took me 4-5 hours to arrange everything.

I think it depends on the aestetic you want! If you can DIY them or if you want that very professional feel.

Post # 39
2592 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: March 2014

@BrideToBe14:  I’m going to be doing the DIY route myself with the flower arrangements! I just refuseeee to spend over 500 on flowers! I have a big bridal party and of course we have the center pieces so I want to save money. Plus it can be a really cute project for me and my bridal party to do together.

Post # 41
45 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: February 2014

@BrideToBe14:  I have some pictures saved to my home computer so I will upload them a little later. We went with 3 different styles of centerpieces. Two low centerpieces with pint mason jars and wood boxes and then one tall one made up of branches. If you really are firm about your budget you and your florist can find ways to get the look you want but not have dish out more money than you are comfortable. We also purchased the candles for the centerpieces because that saved us some bucks too.

Post # 42
4517 posts
Honey bee

Florists order more flowers than necessary because they are trying to create *perfect* bouquets and some of the flowers will be unusable.

They need to charge for their time, talent, their business, they pay taxes, they have to feed themselves too. Wholesale clubs like Sam’s and Costco’s don’t have the same kind of cost structure.

Florists save you the hassle from having to stay up the night before your wedding making your flowers – which is what’s going to happen if you want to do your own flowers – and they help keep them cool, transport them the day of, and set up things for you. Your florist also prevents you from getting your entire family & bridal party into becoming florists themselves as they help you put things together. The night before your wedding is chaotic enough as is with rehearsal and stuff and a lot of things can go wrong.

After all that, they also usually have more talent than the average person at arranging flowers. 

If the things that a florist offers are important for you, then you need to pay them what they are worth. if you don’t value having someone else do the hassle, then go DIY.

Post # 43
4517 posts
Honey bee

@BrideToBe14:  Also, some florists just prefer to get flowers from a place they trust or know how the flowers are going to be. I have seen gorgeous flowers from Costco’s and Sam’s Club before so I think that the quality isn’t too bad either, but the florist probably still prefers having some control over the source of their flowers. It doesn’t hurt to ask

Anyway, I had a small 50-person wedding. For my bouquet, his bout, a toss bouquet, and 6 tbales’ worth of centerpieces (I had about 3 – 4 small arrangements on eac htable) I paid around $1,000 including tax. I hired a really talented florist

Post # 44
918 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: March 2014

I don’t have any advice for you, but I feel your pain. I can’t believe how expensive they are.

Post # 45
6386 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: April 2013

@BrideToBe14:  I did my own flowers and it cost me $320 total (includes shipping, tax, etc).  I ordered from fifityflowers and my local Costco, did not refrigerate my flowers (kept indoors at room temp in water), received my flowers 2 days before the event and had 6 bouquets (bridal, 2 bridesmaids, 2 nosegays for mothers, and 1 toss), 2 altar arrangements, aisle decor and petals for my tables.

The topic ‘OMG PRICE of FLOWERS! R U KIDDING ME?! Advice Please:)’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors