Post # 1
Okay Ladies, give it to me.
I’m getting married in 10 days. I tried on my dress today and it fits like a dream – EXCEPT that the hook and eye at the top of the zipper is about one inch from closing. It fit perfectly a month ago, so I know the inch is new, but I also don’t have much time. What’s my best plan of action here? Can I lose an inch in 10 days with diet and excercise? Is it time for a juice cleanse? Should I find some shapewear or a minimizer bra? Or should I assume the day is lost, buy a bolero, and say to hell with it? Help!
Post # 2
how far up does the zipper zip? Perhaps try switching out your bra? I know my dress fit differently depeding on the bra and how my girls were positioned.
Post # 3
water weight water weight water weight. That’s the fastest way to lose an inch. You’ll gain it all back immediately after the wedding but so what.
There are a lot of ways to lose water… body builders and bikini models go to the extreme before a competition, and professional fighers do the same before a weigh in. You probably don’t need to go that far, but can take tips from the pros.
1. Drink a ton of water. Sounds counterintuitive, but this will help flush out things like sodium which is causing the retention.
2. SWEAT. Work out in sweat pants and a sweater… (obviously stop if you feel like you’re gonna faint). Or go to a sauna (the more civilized way). Etc… again, do everything you can to get those bloat-inducing chemicals OUT.
3. Avoid anything with salt over the next 10 days.
4. Cut down on carbs as much as you can over the next 10 days. (For long run success, more fiber is actually better, but you’re talking 10 days here). ]
5. Drink black coffee, black tea, and/or take diurex or pamprin (both contain the active diuretic to relieve bloat).
6. NO ALCOHOL. Period.
7. If you’re still not fitting in the last 3 days… limit water intake. This is what pro body builders do before competitions.. they start to gradually decrease water intake starting about 3 days out. (It’s super important to drink LOTS of water before you do this.. you need your body to have low anti-diuretic hormones or else you’ll hold on to every last drop.)
Beware… the moment your lips touch water after step 7, you will pretty much balloon. I don’t advise step 7 unless absolutely necessary for this reason, since you probably want a drink or two on your own wedding day.
Post # 4
Maybe just move the hook and/ or eye? That’s a very easy alteration
Post # 5
For 10 days, cut your carbs. It’ll flush glycogen out of your muscles which will help you lose water weight. If you normally eat a high-ish carb diet you probably don’t even need to go crazy (you don’t want to go into ketosis and feel terrible) to get this inch taken care of for the short term.
Post # 6
amanda1988 is spot on. i am a weight-class based athlete and have to cut! you can totally do this.
I would drink a MINIMUM of your weight in oz of water (ex: if you weight 130lb, drink 130oz of water) a day until the last 3 days, and cut water.
Avoid artificial sweetners, sodium, and super processed foods. eat fiber-rich foods (aka: veggies)
Also, i make a dandelion root tea, which a splash of 100% cranberry juice (no sweetners, nothing) and fresh lemon juice. Drink 2-3 cups a day. it’s bitter, but not bad at all. you can drink it cold or hot (i prefer cold). It helps flush your system.
the only fluids you should be drinking: WATER, black coffee/tea, dandelion tea (as above).
for cravings: sugar free jello. (the one exception to artificial sweetners)
PM me if you have any questions!
Post # 7
I thought fiber would actually increase bloat, and is only a long run strategy. Is that wrong?
Post # 8
You girls are angels! Thank you for all the advice!
Post # 9
fiber + water = moving smooth, if you know what i mean. plus, veggies will help a person feel fuller, which is a pretty great thing when you’re trying to cut a little weight. mentally, you will alwasy assume you are hungry!
Post # 10
- Wedding: May 2016 - St. John\'s Lutheran Church
Haha I love all these posts being like “CUT OUT ALL FOOD AND MOLT YOUR SKIN LIKE A GIANT SNAKE” and you’re like “or someone could pick up a needle for two and a half minutes”
Post # 11
Take Dierex (sp?) water pills…. works wonders
Post # 12
I’m actually a seamstress, so yeah, that would have taken all of two seconds. I suppose I worded the post wrong – the hook and eye was at the top of the zipper, so the problem was in fact that the zipper was an inch from closing, and that was also putting the hook and eye an inch from closing. I could have ripped out the side seams, but that would only have allowed me to increase it a quater inch while preserving the structure of the bodice (and would not honestly have been worth the effort).
Post # 13
You ladies are the best! I did the drinking my weight in ounces of water thing, coupled with increased excersise and carb cutting and the dress fit like a dream! Thank you all so much!