Post # 1
FH and I are getting married in October of 2013. The venue we would like to use has a max capacity of 200 seated. We are realizing quickly that this number will be a bit challenging to reach, but possible. Combined we have 25 Out of Town family members, and 4 Out of Town friends that we would like to invite. We feel we need to know from these folks first as to whether they think they can make it before we send out Save-The-Date Cards and invites. This would ultimately free up some chairs because we feel some won’t be able to attend.
Have any of you handled this situation? We are close enough to all these folks that we feel we could send them the date via email, and request a response. Thoughts?
Post # 3
Why not? But be warned that they might say no now, but whatever they had gets canceled and then they might be able to attend your wedding later.
Post # 4
Honestly I think it’s going to be challenging to ask your guest that far in advance their plans. They would have to know if they can save money, get the time off if they need to travel and all that.
Perhaps the best thing to do is send their std and invites out a little ahead and have their rsvp date set earlier. Things change or come up so it would put them in a tough position to know so far in advance to give an accurate rsvp.
Post # 5
I don’t think it’s fair to ask them to make a decision this far in advance. I would just let them respond along with everyone else.
It’s always tricky trying to get the guest count just right for the venue. If it helps, about 90% of our guests RSVP-ed yes, with 10% saying no. Most were out of town. If you invite a little over 200 people (say 215 or so), you will likely end up with about 200 guests at the wedding.