Post # 1
Fiance and I want to adopt another furbaby, and I came across this little guy and fell in love. The only problem is he has a medical condition and the surgery would be costly. Does anyone have experience with this type of deformation? How costly are these sort of procedures for animals? I’ve never had a pet that needed surgery before so I have nothing to base this on.
I really want to help this little pup. 🙁
Post # 2
He is absolutely adorable. I would call the shelter, tell them that you are interested in adopting him, and ask them if they have gotten an idea of how much the procedure would cost yet.
I have not had a dog with a similar condition. However my dog did need her knees completely reconstructed because they would pop in and out of socket. That cost about $2,600. She then also had a cancerous tumor in the roof of her mouth. This required a skin and bone graft. That cost about $1,300.
There is also the possiblity of CareCredit. It is a credit card that can be used with no interest for a certain time period. Kind of like when sears or whoever has the No interest for 18 months!! deals. Only certain vets will accept CareCredit though. Some vets may also offer a payment plan on expensive procedures. I also wonder if the shelter would possibly hold a fundraiser to help put money towards the surgery.
Post # 3
MrsRoberts52: I dont know anything about the surgery but I looked at the link and now my heart is broken 🙁 PLEASE GET HIM!! I am sure there is a way to work it out, payment plans, etc. Good for you for being such a kind hearted person to consider this 🙂 Keep us updated please!
Post # 4
MrsRoberts52: It sounds like the shelter is sourcing a vet. Will they not pay for the surgery? The shelter I volunteer with gets necessary surgeries done on their animals before adoption.
If not, you could start a Go Fund Me page. Some people – like me – will give away disposible income to help animals. Keep us updated on the little guy’s situation and what you decide to do!
Post # 5
MrsRoberts52: omg he is so sweet! And so cute. I have never heard of such thing but I would do what PP said and see what the surgery will cost and maybe do a payment plan with eithe r the vets office or through Care Credit.
I have a Jack and they are great dogs! She will be 12 in a few weeks
Post # 6
MrsRoberts52: Hi! Adorable little dog!! I’m happy to share some info.
An open fontanelle is rarely a problem – it is actually breed standard in Chihuahuas that they have an open fontanelle! And they are completely normal (or at least as normal as a chihuahua can be…). So, yeah, not an issue at all! I’ve never heard of a dog needing a skull reconstruction for an open fontanelle. No matter how large it is. And I’ve been around the business for a while now…
It sounds from the description that the vet thinks the pup may have hydrocephalus – excess fluid in the brain. This is often seen in dogs with open fontanelles (but it is not caused by the open fontanelle). Some dogs with hydrocephalus can be managed with medications (life-long), while others need a shunt (ventriculo-peritoneal shunt) placed to siphon fluid from the head into the belly to reduce pressure in the skull. This is indeed an expensive procedure – several thousand dollars. It depends on how severe the clinical signs are whether a patient can be managed successfully without surgery.
If the pup is otherwise happy and acting normally, he may stay like that forever, so I wouldn’t hesitate to adopt him if I were you! If he’s lived till one year old and he’s doing well, it’s likely he’ll be fine even if he does have some degree of hydrocephalus.
If there are problems currently (not housetraining well, dull or lethargic, seizures), then I’d be wary of adopting unless you are prepared for lots of vet bills.
That said, it sounds to me like the pup needs to be evaluated by a specialist (neurologist) – then you’ll know for sure what you’re in for.
Post # 7
Oooh_snap: Oooh_snap: somethingblue04: Daizy914: bananasareyellow: They had another vet visit, and it looks like he doesn’t need surgery after all. Unfortunately, they want to place him in a home with dogs that aren’t bigger than him, and my Jaxon is 25 pounds and this little guy not even 10 pounds. I’m going to contact them and see what they say, because my pup is really calm and good with other animals, but I’m worried they’ll say no. :/
Post # 8
MrsRoberts52: awww, maybe they can give you a trial run?
But that is so good to hear that he doesn’t need surgery!!!! he is too cute!!!
Goodluck, I hope you are able to get him!