(Closed) OPKs & Timing

posted 7 years ago in Babies
Post # 3
3866 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

@ADMBoston: I’ve been using the brand with the smiley face, since they seemed to be pretty popular and gives a definite “yes” or “no”.  It has also shown me exactly what I’ve always figured about my body.  I won’t go into the details 😉

I’ve also found the online predictors to be accurate.  I think the one I use is at babytalk.com or something like that.  You put in when AF started and then calculates your “fertile period”.  It also gives the estimated due date if you get pregnant that month.

good luck and sorry you’re having such a frustrating time!!!

Post # 4
1944 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2009

I’m with Ryna; after months of aggravation I went with the digital tests as well. I know they are more expensive but it really does help to get the correct answer. Good luck!

Post # 5
152 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: July 2009

In my personal experience – the internet cheapie OPK’s gave me an easy to identify positive (test line darker than control line) while the more expensive FRERs (that I intended to use as back up proof once I got a positive on the cheapies) were never obviously positive (though close).  This happened last month (turned out to be a chemical pregnancy) and this month (currently 4.5 weeks pregnant) so I KNOW for a fact that I ovulated!  So I guess what I’m trying to say is that not all brands of OPK’s are alike!  haha

Having said that, it’s also possible for one’s body to gear up to ovulate (ie LH surge happens and you see a positive OPK) but for some reason, ovulation doesn’t happen, or ovulation is delayed (stress, illness etc can cause delay in ovulation). If ovulation doesn’t happen, the cycle is anovulatory – which can often lead to longer cycles, and the AF that finally comes is due to breakthrough bleeding.

If ovulation is delayed, then your whole cycle will be thrown off, as AF doesn’t usually show until 12-14 days (on average) after ovulation occurs. Both of these things are totally normal, and can occur randomly in woman who have an otherwise normal cycle (normal – and yet drives a TTC woman insane – haha).

The easiest way to get a better idea of whether you’ve actually ovulated is by temping.  Now I know it’s not for everyone, and it is nice to just relax and take things easy without getting too technical.  But if your cycles are all wacky and you find yourself obsessing and going insane every month wondering if you might be pregnant because stupid AF is late again, it might just be the answer you’re looking for 🙂

When you are charting your temps, you are essentially looking for the sustained increase in body temp that occurs after ovulation.  The problem being, once you identify the temp rise – it’s too late to catch the egg.  So when you combine the use of OPK’s and temping, you get a heads up as to when your body is going to ovulate from the OPK, and then you can confirm that you actually ovulated by the sustained temperature rise! 

And that’s about enough of that long winded, and unsolicted advice – haha!

Good luck in your TTC adventures!!

Post # 6
152 posts
Blushing bee

Oh also – you may want to continue taking the OPKs (especially if you notice EWCM) to see if you actually get a true positive later in your cycle!  You said it was close to positive on thursday friday – did you test again after that to see if the test line became lighter or disappeared? 

Post # 7
1944 posts
Buzzing bee

Echo you are absolutely correct. Many misinterpret a positive opk as a for sure sign of ovulation, not true. I got a + every month and AF came every 30 days on schedule, but I was never actually releasing an egg. Frustrating!

Post # 8
3866 posts
Honey bee

@MissGreen: ugh, yeah, so very true.  If it weren’t for our wedding being in 11 months, we’d be going back to the dr. in June.  but… I really wanna be able to fit in my gown 😉

I get a positive OPK exactly when I’m supposed to, but I’m uncertain if I’m actually ovulating due to a few factors.  For all I know, it’s an off-and-on thing due to knowing I ovulated last may/june that ended in a miscarraige.

It’s really hard to figure out if you’re ovulating for certain without having a doctor involved and that doesn’t happen until after a year of trying for most.  (there ARE a few exceptions to the rule…)

good luck!!!!  hope you get a positive OPK soon or a BFP!!!

Post # 9
959 posts
Busy bee

I just tried my first OPK recently and it was an Amazon cheapie- the lines were almost identical but possibly 99% not 100%. I was wondering this same thing. I might get the smileys too.

@Zinzerena:Don’t want to threadjack but since u mentioned the only way to tell if you’re ovulating is with a doctor, what about charting? If you have a clear temp shift, does that means you’re definitely ovulating?

Post # 10
1944 posts
Buzzing bee

@Avant….you can temp and see a shift but really the only for sure way of knowing is through lab work 7 days post ovulation. Even that could be tricky if a opk test is read wrong or temping is off. I for sure knew my medication was working and causing me to ovulate by follicle scans and bloodwork but that comes with difficulty conceiving. I temped for 2 months (didnt work too well since I work night shift) saw a shift, got a + opk; however my follicles never dropped. My progesterone levels were extremely low; 0.8 & 0.6 those months and you need to be over a 5 for ovulation to occur. So there’s an example where everything can point you to a good sign and then slap you silly. TTC is such a confusing process, geesh! You’d think it’d be easier than trying to prevent one all those years!

Post # 12
152 posts
Blushing bee

@ADMBoston: hmmm…it could be that the OPK was as positive as it was going to get….I wonder though, because you were 2 weeks late last cycle – and yet you got a positive OPK around the same time in your cycle as this month? How many days was your last cycle?

Generally speaking – although your cycle length may change from month to month, the luteal phase of your cycle (ie the length of time from ovulation to the day before AF arrives) does not change by more than a day or so.  The average luteal phase is around 14 days (but anywhere between 10 and 16 is normal).  Let’s say for argument’s sake that your luteal phase is 14 days – if you were “two weeks late” last cycle – it could be that you didn’t actually ovulate until the day when you originally expected to get AF.   So if your cycle ended up being 46 days for instance – you may not have ovulated until CD32 (even if you had a positive OPK earlier in the cycle. your body might have geared up to O but was delayed for some reason and didn’t happen until later).  Or it might have just been a fluke anovulatory cycle.

Perhaps it might be worthwhile to purchase a bunch of cheapie internet OPKs and continue testing throughout your cycle to see if you do get another positive later on?

Oh and I totally understand about EWCM getting masked by so much BDing!  I forgot about that part – heh.  

I can only imagine how frustrating that must have been last cycle!  Hopefully this one will behave better and if you are late – it’s for a very good reason Smile

Post # 13
3866 posts
Honey bee

@ADMBoston: no problem!  even when I was a week late (and NO BFPs, dang it), It still got my next “fertile time” spot on.  I typically am the usual 28 days, so that’s what I used.  It’s a pretty helpful calculator.  

The other thing is, you can always check with your insurance/doctor about being able to get tests done sooner if you’ve been using OPKs and not getting a positive, since that would point to a problem.  Another helpful part of using them.  And, of course, the “better” (read “expensive”) the test, the more likely you are to NOT get the usual argument of “oh, but those aren’t RELIABLE.  you should use…”.  

I go with what @echo suggested and get lots of cheapy ones and then when they look positive, use one of the more expensive ones to find out for certain if you ovulated or not.  

good luck!!! here’s hoping you’re late for a good reason!!!!

Post # 14
1820 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

@ADMBoston: There was a really interesting post on the Bump (I know, I know…) yesterday about the Answer brand OPKs (which is what the CVS generic is).  One of the women on there compared her results with Answer OPKs and the Wondfo OPKs (the cheap ones from Amazon) – the Answer never gave her a + (or anything even close), but she got a + from the Wondfos.  I am having trouble with the Answer/CVS generics as well (never got a + OPK even though all other signs were present), so I wanted to pass this along…

Post # 15
2871 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: March 2011

I use Wondfo strips

Post # 16
2022 posts
Buzzing bee

I use the wondfo’s now and then if I get a positive test I will use the Clear Blue easy smileys to confirm.  The wondfo’s are so cheap, which is awesome, but I always get a fainter line than the test line so never can tell for sure with them.

Clear blue easy has a 20 test back so you can test for longer than the 7 day pack.

The topic ‘OPKs & Timing’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors