Post # 1
I was thinking away last night (it’s one of my more dangerous activities…). And I started to think of the crazy differences DH and I have in our personalities, attitudes etc…
- DH is extremely good at fixing things – he has been described by some as the secret lovechild of Bob the Builder and MacGyver. My talent however lies in breaking things. Do you have anything that is confidently stamped with Unbreakable on the base of it? Give it to me and I will 100% find a way to smash the damn thing to pieces. Luckily DH likes fixing things – so he has lots to do when I’m around.
- When fixing things, DH is of the school that thinks logically and things will work out. Personally I find that, for example if the fax isn’t working, the best way to deal with it is mutter to myself that I will stay calm, then gently start muttering swearwords. If this doesn’t work, I then start shouting random profanities, then kick something whilst wearing open toe shoes, before sitting on the floor and crying. After 2 minutes – the fax usually works, if not get DH to fix it
- DH follows politics; I follow the weird and wonderful. He fills me in on what’s happening in the world, whilst I inform him on the weight of the heaviest cat in the world.
- DH is very picky about tidiness, especially in packing suitcases and his clothes arrive wherever we go in pristine condition, whereas although I am fanatical about cleanliness, I really do not mind that my shoes are in the centre of the room hat when I open my suitcase it’s like a bomb exploded.
- DH is quite a private guy who wouldn’t go out of his way to speak to a stranger, whereas I speak to EVERYONE – literally. Saturday night, I saw a woman sat by herself – I could see she didn’t want to be on her own, so I went and invited her to sit with us – that was at 10pm, at 4am the three of us were in a rock club dancing away. He loves that I just throw him into these situations because it’s pushing his boundaries with meeting people, and he enjoys it. He just lacks the social confidence to do it whereas I lack the ability to shut up.
- DH loves talking on the phone. He regularly calls family and friends for a chat, whereas I hide when he’s on the phone because I detest talking on phones. Thank god for him because otherwise I would not keep in touch with people regularly otherwise because of my stupid insecurity of how I sound on phones.
- We also have a lot of differences of opinions about ethical and moral subjects, but although we have heated debates, we always respect the other’s views and try to understand where the other is coming from.
- He’s a bit of an over-sharer with his family, whereas I am very private, and before visits I usually tell him what he can and can’t tell his parents. (i.e. I do not feel comfortable discussing my Gynaecologist visit with his parents, although he can’t see anything wrong in it).
Personally I feel we are stronger because of these differences and not in spite of them. What are your differences with your DH and how do they affect your relationship?
Post # 3
Hmm. In lots of ways Fiance and are alike, and radically different in others.
- Fiance is really quiet. Doesn’t talk, loves sitting in silence. I’m chatty chatty chatty
- Fiance is like Matt Damon in Good Will Hunting. He’s creepy smart and in the rare moments he does make small talk, it’s usually something ridiculously intellectually brilliant. I am an intelligent person, but he makes me feel stupid (unintentionally) with the amount of knowledge he has
- Fiance hates any form of social discussion, I love it. Fiance doesn’t care what so-and-so did, or what they said. He just has no desire to know about other people’s lives whatsoever. I love making small talk with family, friends, etc.
- Fiance looooves fish. I hate it. I made him scallops last night and my entire condo smells horrendous
- Fiance doesn’t care about weddings at all. He’d go to a courthouse if I’d let him. Hates the planning, wants nothing to do with it, etc. I LOVE WEDDINGS.
- Fiance has NO drama in his life. No skeletons in the closet, nothing. I could write a soap opera on years 13-20 that teenagers would go nuts over.
- Fiance is SO calm. I’m the anti-calm. I have severe anxiety and get panic attacks. I’ve never once seen Fiance remotely stressed. He doesn’t even bat an eye in stressful situations.
- Fiance is more of a “traditional nerd” than I am. He loves WoW, Dungeons and Dragons, etc. I love weddingbee.
Overall he’s a sweetheart and he treats me like a princess. But his weird little quirks are so different from mine!
Post # 4
Funny you say about your Fiance being creepy intelligent – DH is exactly the same – he comes out with some amazing knowledge, and an understanding behind them which always amazes me. I am prone to useless facts, but I just announce them like that cute little by off Jerry Maguire, without any understnading. Haha!
Post # 5
FI; Planner Me: Fly by the seat of my pants
Fiance: Structured Me: fickle
Fiance: Saver Me: Spender
Fiance: narrow minded Me: Open minded
Fiance: Home body Me: Outdoorsy
Fiance: TV shows Me: bore to easy movies only for me
Fiance: worrier Me: wonder what he thinks worrying is good for
Fiance: Dog lover Me: cat lover (or all animals but love cats a bit more then dogs)
Fiance: mature Me: immature
Fiance: no imagoinations Me: can’t turn off my imagenation
I could go on all day, we are opposites for sure.
Post # 6
I thought we were so alike when we first started dating…
- DH *likes* organized, clean and tidy and *trys* to uphold that to prove that he takes care and takes pride in his things (I say “likes” and “trys” because he does get behind on it at times). I, usually couldn’t care less. I’m messy and used to live in a disorganized life. My car still shows that…
- Our political views are complete opposites.
- With that said, so are our views on issues such as gays and gay rights and some aspects of health care.
- I like showing some PDA (not shoving our tounges into each other’s throat, but little flirtations), DH doesn’t. He won’t kiss me in public just for fun, unless he looks everywhere to see if no one is looking.
- I’m a bit of a nomad, DH is more of a homebody; though we sometimes bring out the other in each other.
- DH is very specific (and sometimes a diva) about certain things, I’m much more laid back.
- I’m more apt to try new things and change. DH, not so much.
- DH is more private, I’m an over-sharer (I’m on WB, that says it all)
A lot of communication and compromise is needed, but we are alike in our understanding of what each other needs and wants so that and our love for each other is the glue to our marriage.
Post # 7
Oh, this is an amazing post! 🙂
- Fiance is into science; he’s very logical, critical, and analytical. I’m into the supernatural; anything impossible or weird I just adore.
- Fiance is loud. By that, I mean he is opinionated to anyone around him, wherever he is, whatever the subject matter is. I, on the other hand, have GAD/social anxety, and refuse to talk to people I don’t know. I’m not being rude or standoffish intentionally, I just dread the thought of talking to people I don’t know and having them criticize me.
- Fiance never wanted to get married. He was dead against it, and imagined himself as somewhat of a neverending bachelor. I’ve been ‘planning’ my wedding since I was old enough to speak. I’ve had numerous ‘wedding ceremonies’, in which I would take whatever unlucky friend/cousin/sibling was around me and they would be my ‘groom’.
- Fiance loves video games. CoD, Skyrim, the works (I don’t know any other games, hah! That shows how much I care about them). I love board games. Clue, Life, Monopoly, Scrabble, Trivial Pursuit…that is where my heart lies. 🙂
- Fiance loves heavy metal music. I mean, the screaming-in-your-face kind with loud guitars and even louder drums and so many lyrics at once you can’t think straight. I like indie.
- Fiance is an aquatic biology major; he loves fish, he loves water, he loves learning salmons’ mating patterns and how long it takes to freeze a cube of ice if there is a minnow trapped inside swimming rapidly around and warming the water up (lol, idk what I’m talking about); I love to kill fish. I was a brutal fish murderer for my entire childhood….I’d take the fish I caught (did I mention I was skilled at catching them? I’m a pro) and lay them to ‘bake’ in the sun. (Note: I don’t do this anymore; it was just the childhood psycho in me.)
- Fiance has an incredibly steady hand; he can do anything art-related without a care in the world; yeah, you can just call me “Klutz” from now on.
- Fiance can play the guitar and sing, beautifully, and he can actually make me tear up from some of the things he’s written. I just can’t. I don’t even want to try singing in front of him; it’d make his ears explode.
- Fiance has NO grace when it comes to dancing, though. Couldn’t dance to save his life. I was a ballerina, a gymnast, and a tapdancer. I was also in danceline. 🙂
- Fiance knows SO much. Talk about any subject, (well, related to something outdoors) and he can go on for 20 minutes about everything related to the subject and a few things that are interesting facts but are really just about something nature-related. (He’s adorable; he does this subconciously without even realizing he’s done it); I, on the other hand, am intelligent (when it comes to English or math), but nothing science-y. Not at all. I’m horrible.
- Fiance has the WORST memory of anyone I’ve ever met in my entire life. Just last night, he was going to get some gum for my dad, and right as he got out, I told him, “He wants cobalt and ice. Remember that. Cobalt. and Ice.” 3 minutes later, he calls me, “What kind did you say he wanted again?” Sheesh. I’m glad he remembers my birthday at this rate…if he does. I have an excellent memory, and it’s why I’m so great at test-taking. Give me something to memorize, and I’ll have it done in 5 minutes and remember it for 15 years.
- Fiance is amazing; I am just lucky to have him. (Okaaaay that last one didn’t follow suit but I AM lucky to have my wonderful man.)
Post # 9
I am very out going, my husband is on the quiet side
I am messy he is cleaner
He is organized I am not
I am a saver, he is getting better at saving!
… there are a lot of things we are opposite on which is why I think we are so good for eachother, but the things we are not oppisite on are the things that matter, which are our morals and our foundation to our relationship! I think oppisites attract, to a point, you cant be opposite on everything or it wont work!
Post # 10
- Wedding: September 2012 - Southern California
Aww.. this is so my FH & I!
- He is so smart when it comes to seriously like everything! I know what I need to know [ie school, work, etc], but don’t generally really know all the detailed random facts FH does haha.
- He is so stubborn & I am a people-pleaser to it’s farthest extent!
- He plays video games at every free chance he gets & I haven’t the slightest clue about any of them.
- He’s a Dodger fan & I’m an Angel fan ;].
- He is not a great listener. He interrupts & always has something to say. I, on the other hand, can listen for hours to everyone ..I’m not much of a talker anyway.
- He is always hot & I am always cold!
- He’s a saver, I’m a spender.
- He will any & everything, but I’m a super picky eater [sue me!].
- His favorite music artist is Eminem & mine is Rascal Flatts.
- He prefers fictional movies/books [Harry Potter, Star Wars, you get the idea] & I am strictly ‘real life’ kind of scenaries [chick flicks, comedies].
- Aside from our movie/book tastes, he is much more of a realist & I am always so positive.
We always joke about how opposite we are “inside” because physically we look so similar which is slightyly disturbing sometimes haha. We’re both white with broad shoulders, long arms, bad eyesight [we both wear glasses & I know that doesn’t help], & of course just super duper handsome/pretty ;] jk. On two different occasions, we have been asked if we were brother & sister! ..see pic!
I love him so much though & I wouldn’t trade any trait about him for anything <3.