(Closed) Our cake sucked. I paid over $700. Should I even bother?

posted 11 years ago in Food
Post # 18
1580 posts
Bumble bee

I looked at the pics and I don’t think it is so bad that you should report her. I know the workmanship wasn’t as good as you were expecting/hoping, but its not even close to the worst cake I’ve ever seen. Fondant even cracks sometimes on Ace of Cakes. If you want to call her and give her a piece of your mind, then go for it. But really, there is no reason to hold on to the anger about the cake. It’s probably just stressing you out more than anything.

Post # 19
1392 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2010 - Heron Hill Winery

I would be upset too!! That’s ridiculous that she isn’t taking your calls…it’s almost as if she is intentionally ignoring the problem.  I hope you can figure something out where you would at least get a partial refund. 

Post # 20
990 posts
Busy bee

Definitely have a right to be upset – though in the first picture it doesn’t look so bad – so hopefully whenever it makes an appearance in a picture it won’t look so bad. I would definitely report her to the BBB.

Post # 21
831 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

Definitely write up about her on Yelp and other search engines to let other brides know about this incident! The rest should follow suit hopefully.

Post # 22
241 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

I’m so sorry about your cake!  You have every right to be mad.  I totally understand about letting go of the money, but I would post reviews and pics everywhere I could. 

Congrats on the wedding, however!

Post # 23
979 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

I looked at the pics and I can see the problems in details you are talking about.  It looks mostly like it was a rushed job and she didn’t put enough time into it.  But at least it was delivered and from a distance none of the issues were noticeable.  I am not sure there is much you could do besides post a bad review, which you already did, because technically she did what she was supposed to do: deliver a cake.  If you involve the BBB it usually has to be a more serious issue.  I am not sure you can report someone for just doing a generally lousy job.

Post # 25
563 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2009

I know it is a bit late for you now, but for other brides in your position, sometimes vendors will refund your money if you don’t go public with their mistakes.  The downside to that is, of course, that another bride is likely to be terribly disappointed since without publicity poor vendors will continue shoddy work. 

I don’t think she will provide you with an explanation (especially by email, since then there would be a paper trail of her  admitting liability). 

Did you pay by credit card?  If so, you can try to dispute the charges.  There is also the possibility of suing her in small claims court, since you have pictures to demonstrate that the cake was damaged.

You should also post these pictures and reviews of her everywhere – yelp, the knot, projectwedding, yahoo and google  so that hopefully when another bride or prospective cake buyer is googling her the reviews appear.

Post # 26
183 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: December 1969

I’m a professional cake decorator and it looks to me like it was damaged in transit.  All the cracking and the pearls breaking off looks like poor transportation.  Usually that is avoided by assembling the cake on site or driving like a granny.  If the person who delivered it was not a cake decorator they probably didn’t know what to do with it.

I would definitely get to the bottom of the situation!!  I couldn’t imagine sleeping at night knowing one of my clients felt the way you do about my work!!! 

Post # 27
2702 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

i’m sorry that you had such a bad experience.

first of all, i really don’t think you’re being overly angry. you aren’t even asking for a refund, just an explanation as to what happened to your cake and the lack of communication as well.

where did you find her through?

i’d at least try giving her a call at this point.

good luck, i hope you find some relief soon!

Post # 28
124 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

I would be mad too, for 700+ dollars your cake should of look A LOT better. Did you have a bunch of different flavors?, that just seems like alot for a 4 tier cake.

Sounds like she is embarrassed and thinks you will just stop trying to get ahold of her.

I would wait a few days to see if she calls you back. I can’t remember if you said you have emailed her or not. But I would just calmly explain that you need to talk to her about the cake, and to call you as soon as possible.

If she never calls or emails you in a few days I would report her.

Post # 29
1135 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2009

I think she should be ashamed of herself for actually charging money for such shoddy work, but I’m not sure the BBB would take this complaint.  I only say that because she didn’t technically fail to come through on anything, it just wasn’t quite the standard that it should have been.  This is a yelp, google, wedding website, etc. type review.  Just spread the word as much as you can.  And I would go in person, with the pictures, to tell her how disappointed you were.  Let her know that you plan to review her negatively everywhere you possibly can and that you will tell everyone who listen not to use her business–that might make her work with you on a partial refund.  I’m so sorry!

Post # 30
806 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

Maybe if you can talk to her you suggest (1) she gives you a partial refund or (2) you can post some vendor reviews of her service online including these pictures of your cake.  It’s up to her!

Post # 31
2475 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

Sorry, that does not look like $725 worth of work!  I’d be pissed (and I’m by no means close to being a bridezilla)!  I would definitely try to talk to her one-on-one and calmly explain the situation.  I mean, what’s done is done, but you shouldn’t just sit back and take it.  That’s your hard-earned money! 

The topic ‘Our cake sucked. I paid over $700. Should I even bother?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors