@madelise: I’ll give it a try!
First, I designed all the pages on paint. Once I had that done, I played around with the dimensions until they were all the same size (we used 13cmx21cm so it would fit into a C5 envelope).
Once I had that done, I went to my local paper place and got all the paper and card I needed. We used a really thick card stock for the cover (which happened to match the colour of the darker hearts just about perfectly), and just picked a nice paper for the inside sheets. I picked up some photo corners and a guillotine with a scoring attachment while I was there too.
I saved all the images to word documents, and arranged them so that they were all the same size. I had to do a few test runs because I made the pages double sided and needed to make sure it all lined up perfectly so it would look right. Once it was all lining up perfectly I started printing.
I would print about 5 copies of one page at once, then leave it to dry for a few hours so the ink wouldn’t smudge, then once it was dry I could put it back through the printer and print the other side of it. I also printed our names and address on the RSVP envelopes.
Once I had all my pages printed, I started cutting them. If you have a design with a lot of white like I did, then when you’re designing the pages it might be helpful to put a small black line on the outside edges so you can see where to cut once they’ve been printed.
I then cut up the card. I cut the card a little bigger than the pages, I liked the way it looked and there was also much more room for error. Once I had all my pages printed and cut, I started assembling them. I have to give Fiance credit for this part, because he was very helpful 🙂
I folded and tied all the maps and I had already done the calligraphy on the envelopes by this point, so we were ready to go. We just put them a bit of card at the front, put all the pages in order, double checked them and then put a bit of card at the back.
Before I scored them, I had to figure out how much room to leave for the eyelets. I left a fair bit more than I needed, because I didn’t want to risk it falling apart or looking weird. Once I had that figured out I took scored the pages together, so that they all lined up, and I scored the 2 bits of card separately, because they were too thick to be scored with the rest.
Once I had it all scored, I punched the holes for the eyelets, put the eyelets in and TA-DA! We had books!
After that all that was left to do was stick the map in with some masking tape over the twine and put the RSVPs in. We numbered the backs of our RSVPs just in case someone forgot to write their name on the card, I could just look up the number on the back and I’d know who it was from. I put a photo corner on each corner of the envelope to make it more secure, they are really cheap anyway, and we got 250 in a pack (way more than we needed for our 40 invitations). I got Fiance to hold the book open so I could stick the RSVPs in straight.
Then we were done 🙂