Post # 1
Our photographer just moved to California and had previously promised us that she would be back in town to shoot our May wedding, but now she is having her new business partner (who we have never met or seen her work) contact us saying she will be shooting our wedding! Our original contract says that in the “unlikely event of personal illness” someone else will be assigned to shoot the wedding but does not mention any other circumstances. Does anyone know if that covers us to get out of our contract? They also want us to sign a new contract with many more stipulations than the original, which we do not feel we should have to do. We have a meeting set up with the business partner later this week, so we will know more then, but I’m just so angry and need to vent!!!
Any suggestions for great photographers in St. Louis that we may be able to get on 4 months notice if we need to fire her???? Our wedding is on a Friday, so hopefully that will help with availability. Thanks!
Post # 3
This is a full out breach of contract. If the new person is not up to your liking, you should demand any down payment back from her. The only problem is that she is no longer in-state, so it will be hard to collect. Did you pay a significant down payment?
Post # 4
i don’t think moving is the same as personal illness so you should be able to get out of your contract legally. If you do meet with the new person and like them you should still ask for a huge discount due to the inconvenience they caused you. Our DJ did this same thing to us 3 weeks before our wedding – so it wasn’t like we could find someone else with that short of notice! We asked for a discount and he gave us 10% off. I was still upset, but in the end it turned out ok (and we got what we paid for I guess since our DJ was the cheapest we could find anywhere).
Post # 5
Totally don’t blame you for being angry and I think you absolutely can get out of the contract if you want to. I would request to see several examples of this person’s work and then decide if you want to fire them altogether.
Post # 6
im not a laywer but i would not sign anything new why they obviously are not adhering to the current contract you have
i know there are a few lawyers on this site (check out the liberal feminist thread somewhere) so maybe one of them will offer some advise
Post # 7
She offered us a 10% discount back in October when we booked if we paid the balance, which we had on hand at the time and figured it would be a good deal. At the time, her fiance was set to be deployed and wasn’t going to be back for over a year, so we figured no problem. Wrong! Now he’s not being deployed (good for them, bad for us) and she moved to California last week. When she did our engagement pics in November she swore up and down that she would be back in town for the whole month of May because she had several weddings scheduled, so apparently we’re not the only ones getting the shaft. She does plan to come back to St. Louis after a year though and continue her business here. I’m freaking out that we made a big mistake!
Post # 8
Get your money back and get everything settled with her. Then write reviews all over the internet so that future St. Louis brides don’t book this photog when she moves back to town. Post her name here too eventually so people know not to book her!
Post # 9
If her husband is in the Military, he probably got orders to go to California, so she probably has no choice. She may not have the funds available to come back for a month. That being said, I would talk to the other photographer and see if you can either work something out with them with a discount or to get a total refund. If the business is jointly owned, it should not be a problem to get a refund. Because of the inconvenience this is causing you, you should be able to get a discount and because of the added stipulations to the new contract (probably due to the experience fof the photographer), you should be able to get your money back. Do not sign a new contract if you are not comfortable with it. The original contract has been broken and they should either forgive your part or if they want to keep your business they should give you a substantial discount.
Post # 10
Now the business partner is saying that she is “booked solid” until the 29th and cannot meet with us until then! Really?? For the next 3 weeks you can’t have a half hour meeting?? This whole thing is just leaving a bad taste in my mouth and now I’m not even sure that I’m comfortable having either of them at my wedding. Sorry, I just need to vent about this, but it seems from what people are saying that we may be able to get out of the contract. I just don’t want to end up losing the money we paid her! Arrrrrgggghhhhh!