(Closed) Out of 163 invites, only 50 are coming.

posted 5 years ago in Emotional
Post # 3
326 posts
Helper bee

Oh my goodness! I am so sorry. Has anyone provided an explanation? 

Post # 4
6256 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: March 2014

That sucks! Are you having it on a weekday, or outside in a hot state? If you are busy and move a lot, it’s likely that your friends and family are in the same sort of situation. Have you been able to make it to their special events?

Post # 5
2459 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

Wow. I would be… so so so upset. You have every right. 163 invitations, and only 50 attending! Wow. I don’t really know what to say to console you other than at least you know who your true friends and family are. To those who aren’t making an effort – well, maybe it’s not worth making the effort for them after this. I’m so sorry you are hurting 🙁 I hope you feel better, maybe have a glass of wine (or 4) and try to focus on the people that love you enough to be there? 

Also, like @hopeandpray said, any explanations?

Post # 6
1735 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

Consider love and support given from this stranger! How very disappointing that people aren’t coming through for you — especially his siblings! There are certain things that you do when you can’t attend a big event like a wedding: the basic level is send back the RSVP that you were given. For a family member, you’d think you’d call and send your best wishes and a gift!

You sound like a lovely person, and so I doubt that this is a thing, but I think it would be worth making some discreet inquiries to relatives to trust to see if there is anything else going on, either with them or with you, or what the deal is there.

Bright side: you’re going to have a lovely wedding for less money than you expected to. Take the extra dough and put it into a great honeymoon, a house fund, wherever you’ll feel good about it going. <3

Post # 9
6256 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: March 2014

@echammond:  I’d say a majority being from out of state is explanation enough to not take it personal. If they lived in the same city, there’d be no excuse, but gas is high right now, and airfare isn’t any better. I would definitely call out the ones who aren’t coming who were giving you grief about eloping, though. You don’t guilt someone into throwing a wedding and then not come unless you’re a complete asshole.

Post # 10
1253 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

I am so sorry – I too would be so disappointed.  I wish there was something more we could do, it is really really sucky when close family and friends let you down.  ((HUGS))

ETA:  Just read your prior post, I’m from Maryland too – Woodlawn Manor is GORGEOUS by the way, your wedding will be lovely!  I don’t think this area is particularly difficult or expensive to travel to for people from out of state, and with DC down the street people with kids could easily make an educational vacation out of it.  So that’s a double bummer 🙁

Post # 11
3244 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

@echammond:  I hear ya. Instead of focusing on those people not coming, focus on the ones who will be there for you.

No idea if this will make you feel better, but here goes. We invited 146 to our wedding and 68 attended, but we were both really happy to see those 68 people. There were some people that I was sad weren’t there-most of his immediate family wasn’t there in part because of distance and in part (I think) because he was married before and they attended his first wedding. There were also some very close friends of mine who RSVP’d no, with no explanation. But on our wedding day I was soooooo happy to be getting married that I didn’t think about the people who weren’t there. I’ll also tell you, even with only 68 people it was hard to talk with everyone at the wedding. So smaller, more intimate weddings mean more time with the guests! 🙂

Post # 12
785 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

@EffieTrinket:  I completely agree – total asshole move.  You could have just eloped or had a destination wedding instead.  I’d def write them and say you were surprised they aren’t attending since they had insisted on this event in the first place.

Post # 13
1014 posts
Bumble bee

how horrible!! I’m so sorry! there doesn’t seem to be anything to do but to try and enjoy the ceremony with your hubby. I’d be there if you invited me 😉 

Post # 14
785 posts
Busy bee

Oops, I guess I didn’t give any advice for how to feel better about all this.  How about you just focus on the fact that you have been gifted with an intimate wedding where you can really interact and enjoy the guests that are there?  And also consider this your “get of jail free card” for when you are invited to something in the future by a non-show.  No guilt at all if you decide not to come. 

Regarding not receiving a card or congratulations – I’m hoping they are waiting for after the wedding to send something.

Post # 15
1021 posts
Bumble bee

Wow, I am so sorry. I guess on the plus side, at least you know what you’re dealing with. You have the next two weeks to re-envision (somewhat) your wedding day. It will be a smaller wedding than you expected, but it will still be filled with a group of people who care about and support you. When you look back on your day, it will probably seem like everyone who was supposed to be there is there. 

By the time your honeymoon rolls around, it probably won’t even seem like a big deal anymore. 

Post # 16
175 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

Aww, I am so sorry! We’re inviting about 120 but only expecting maybe 50 because it’s long distance for like 90% of the people. I’m ok with this but still afraid we’ll only end up with like 20 that actually come 🙁 If this happens I told Hubs that we’re gonna use the extra money from them not coming and go on an awesome cruise! lol. Maybe if you can save ANY money (food, alcohol, whatever) use that on something that will make you happy 🙂

The topic ‘Out of 163 invites, only 50 are coming.’ is closed to new replies.

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors