Out of province wedding – when/how to get the licence?!

posted 3 years ago in Canada
Post # 2
5163 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: January 2010

Yeah you have to get it in the actual province. Marriages are a provincial, not federal thing.

We were a lot closer by the applicable province, and different provinces involved, but we live in Alberta, drove across to the nearest town in BC (near Alberta border), and were married (a month later?) on Vancouver Island. Not so easy to just hop over to Ontario on a day trip obviously! But unless there are issues, you should be able to get the license right away, so a week or two before would be fine. We went into the registry and were out with the license within minutes. Just don’t forget any of the requisite paperwork back at home!


Post # 3
41 posts
  • Wedding: July 2016

You can’t use our BC license outside of that province. You can get them the day of though. I’d just get it as soon as you arrive in Ontario.  

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors