(Closed) Out of town Bridesmaids & Groomsmen – will this work out?

posted 6 years ago in Bridesmaids
  • poll: Best way to handle all the OOT attendant possibles?
    Keep MOH & BM and the locals & give other OOT's a less involved "special role" : (5 votes)
    42 %
    The more the merrier, you'll need massive interaries and a planner, but it's worth it : (7 votes)
    58 %
  • Post # 3
    142 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: June 2013

Only 5 of our 14 in the wedding party live in the area. But they are the people we love and it will be the best decision for us to have them with us on our day. I can’t lie and say I’m not nervous about them missing stuff, but all that’s have to focus on is how much they all mean to us. 🙂

Post # 4
    9056 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2010

We had 2 bridesmaids 5 hours away, my husbands sister and her husband in his hometown, the bes man 9 hours away, 1 local groomsman and the moh in Australia.  I think if you’re organized and ok with the idea that they will just buy a dress/rent a tux and show up and support you emotionally as much as possible from wherever they are it’s totally doable!  

Post # 5
    692 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: March 2013

Our bridal party would be HUGE since we couldn’t leave certain people out without hurting someone’s feelings…and from Oregon, Florida, Indiana, New York, DC, California and some would have to travel internationally. We just didn’t want all that pressure. Plus, we felt bad making them buy certain clothes on top of travel, lodging, etc. in Tennessee. That is one out of about 15 reasons we got rid of our bridal parties and decided to ride solo. We figure that the people who really love us will make an effort to be there regardless and their presence there is enough. After giving it A LOT of thought, we also opted for a more intimate wedding with no more than 50 guests so that everyone there feels like a big family/”bridal party”. We are most likely having all our guests just wear a specific color.

Post # 6
    227 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: June 2012

I’m in the same boat.  I’m in CA and my entire bridal party lives on the east coast.  For the guys the closest is 2 hrs away so we really dont have anyone local.  

We are less than 2 months out now and to be honest it hasnt been that bad but it does depend where you plan to have what.  For example my parents also live on the east coast so my shower was there.  Im not having one in CA basically because there is noone here to plan it.

Its a tough one but at the end of the day it should be the people you want by your side no matter where they live.

Post # 7
    1512 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: September 2013

Two of my three bridesmaids live in differen states [one in CO and one in IN]. They both agreed to travel so they could be in the wedding. I don’t think you should use distance as a determining factor as to who should be in your bridal party. And, I don’t think you’re obligated to include someone in your wedding just because you were in theirs. Choose whoever you want.

Post # 8
    1114 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: July 2013

None of our bridal party lives in the same area, and one of my BMs is in New Zealand for an unspecified period, coming back ‘some time’ before the wedding.  With the internet these days, as long as you’re clear with what everyone’s role involves and you’re well organised there’s no reason why everybody you care about can’t be involved!

The topic ‘Out of town Bridesmaids & Groomsmen – will this work out?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors