- Wedding: October 2019 - City, State
(I don’t see my original comment anywhere, so I’m going to post again and hope it’s not a duplicate…)
I was going to come in all gung-ho and suggest you *not* do this to your bridal party and your guests and change the time or the venue, but I see that’s not possible at this point. I was in a wedding last year that took place outside, in California, in the middle of the summer, in 104-degrees F. The bridesmaids were in long gowns and I felt the sweat dripping down my chest and legs during the entire ceremony (apologies if TMI), and the poor groom and groomsmen were in dark suits. However, we were directly under the sun, no canopies. The venue was kind enough to think on their feet and provide a 5-6 umbrellas for the guests to take cover under, but it was still incredibly hot and distracting (and two guests fainted).
That is an extreme experience NOT meant to scare you or be overly negative, but it leads me to the learning experience:
– If the tents will not have air conditioning, make sure you have at least two ice-cold water dispensers available in the area (my friend had one and it was quickly emptied before the ceremony even began)
– Provide hand fans for guests (you can order in bulk for cheap from Amazon), and even electric hand-held fans (for more of a splurge, but still way less than $8,000)
– For you and any bridesmaids, make sure you put primer under your makeup and powder on top to avoid melty-face (also consider casual up-dos)
– For the groom and groomsmen, consider having them not wear suit jackets during the ceremony. The rolled-up sleeve look with a button-down shirt looks nice for an outdoor wedding and will help keep them cool
Overall, my friend’s wedding was beautiful, but we are very aware of how hot it was and sought refuge in the (THANKFULLY) indoor reception area afterward. In your case, once the sun begins to set, the area will likely cool a bit and then heat will have been a thing of the past. You and your guests are in this together and as long as people plan their outfits accordingly and some measures are taken to make guests more comfortable in the heat, I have no doubt your wedding day will also be amazing.