Post # 1
Just thought this was interesting as I’ve seen lots of threads and comments about this on the Bee. It’s really rediculous that the US has no paid maternity leave and only has had the FMLA since 1993. Even that has so many loopholes (I don’t qualify for it because I haven’t been at my current school for a full year even though I’ve worked for public schools for over 10 years.)
Post # 3
It blows. I’m originally from California and I think you have the option to get on disability when you have a baby. I now live in Colorado and I’ve had to pay into my short term disability. Thankfully I’ve been at my job long enough that I can take FMLA and use my short term disability. My plan covers 75% of my pay while I’m out. I have the option to use sick and vacation time to make up the other 25%. Too bad we’re not like other countries that value family and give us more time off.
Post # 5
Too bad we’re not like other countries that value family and give us more time off.
@MrsDTMajor: I agree!
Post # 6
It’s just so crazy how we’re the only country not offering this!
Post # 7
As much as I would LOVE paid maternity leave, I can understand why the US does not force companies to provide it. Children are a choice, and paying parents to stay home with them for 14+ weeks is an enormous burden on both the company and their co-workers.
Of those countries that do have some type of paid leave (which is basically every country besides the US), I’d be curious to know how many working moms there are as compared to the US.
Post # 8
I was supposed to go back to work March 4th which would be 12 weeks. They called me on Friday and asked me to come back two weeks earlier! We have an STD plan that paid 6 weeks at 60%, but honestly I don’t care. I just want six months or more with my baby.
Post # 9
This is one of my main concerns in moving to the US soon; the lack of paid time off (and time off in general) really worries me, as I believe it’s ideal for moms and babies to have time together in the earliest weeks and months of life.
(Also, I know the researchers on the book this map comes from! It’s on my reading list for March. Really important research).
Post # 10
@travellingfool: thanks for posting this… and will be waiting for your birth story! Saw you’re close on the 35+ thread 🙂
@Ellegee: I hear you, 6 months would be amazing!
@MrsDTMajor: mine is pretty similar for STD, where the first 2 weeks are out of my sick/vacation time, then 100% for the next 4 weeks, then… nada. Yeah, I could take 6 more weeks unpaid, but am also sending Darling Husband to school, so we can’t afford it. Incredibly frustrating as 6 weeks will fly by, then baby will be in day care 3 days a week.
Post # 11
I had 8 weeks short-term disability (6 normal delivery, 8 c-section), my work paid me whatever sick time I piled up. But thats about it…
Post # 12
@Bostongrl25: In Canada we get paid leave because we pay into Employment Insurance. So a deduction is taken off every pay cheque and then we get to draw on that money when we are on mat leave – it’s not paid by our company or the government (well, you could argue it’s paid by the government, but it’s drawn from a fund into which we all pay for all our working lives). Some companies (mine included) do “top up” your salary to a certain point (I get 95% top-up for the first 17 weeks of my 52 week leave), but that is certainly not mandatory and many companies don’t offer any top-up.
Post # 13
@Bostongrl25: Countries with the highest percentage of working mothers (also, if you look at the map, the countries with the most maternity leave available). Those countries/companies somehow make it work. They are also countries with some of the highest standards of living and lowest poverty rates (with the exception of Portugal.) Not saying our system has to look just like theirs but certainly, we should be able to offer something to working mothers.
Post # 14
@H2MrsDj: Thanks! I am excited! Can’t wait!
Post # 15
It is ridiculous how little time the US gives for mothers. But one of the things that chart doesn’t show is that most of the countries with more benefits pay into them a lot more in the form of taxes, etc, or I think it’s EI in Canada. So the people are paying in to receive that benefit, so it doesn’t all fall on the company like it currently does in the US. Which I would absolutely be willing to pay more in taxes for those types of benefits, but raising taxes is something that is a big challenge in the US.
Post # 16
@hergreenapples: @travellingfool: So we would need to pay even higher taxes in the US then.