(Closed) parent albums $550??

posted 11 years ago in Photos/Videos
Post # 3
291 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2007

I made an arrangement w/ my photographer — who is a friend — to get the images on CD so I could design my own album and do whatever I wanted with them.  But, her pricing on the albums is similar to what your quote is.  I did ask her if she could order an album at cost for me if I designed it and sent her the files, and the prices she told me (what the album companies charge her) are pretty expensive. (Like nearly $1000 for a 40-page — which really means 20 sheets of "paper" — leather bound book.) 

There are some other threads on here about album design and cost; I think if you take a look, you’ll see that the quote your photog gave isn’t out of line b/c the albums themselves can be really expensive.  Then, you have to consider the amount of time — a lot! — and work — tons! — that go into producing an album.

I know — the prices are crazy astronomically high, but it’s not different from what others are charging.

If the album itself is not critical to you, meaning that you would be happy with printing your own 4×6’s and 8×10’s at Costco and mounting them in a nice, but not crazy expensive album, then talk to your photog about options for you.  (Sometimes they do charge an arm and a leg just for prints; I don’t know what to tell you about that.) These albums that photogs do are expensive partly ’cause of the design and photo enhancement work, but also partly b/c the albums themselves are massive, made of leather and other high quality materials, and in some cases, depending on the style, are printed specially and the photos are glued to the pages.

Post # 4
438 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2008

My photog. includes our own album in our package, but parents albums are roughly about that price.  he does them himself, and sends away to have them printed.  However, since we have several sets of parents (they have all been divorced and remarried), we are looking at another option.  Our photographer actually will sell the rights to our images immediately for $700.  Or, after a year, they are automatically ours for free.  This is definitely something to ask about when booking your photographer!  The way I see it is I can pay 400-500 per book, where I will need 4 of them, or just buy the images and create my own parent books on websites like Picaboo or even Kodak.  In our situation, it is definitely cheaper to buy the rights.  And then we can also print our own pictures much cheaper than ordering from him!  But at least we also know if we can wait they are ours for free!  I think a lot of photographers have started doing this too, because of the whole digital thing, and they can make good money doing it.

Post # 5
267 posts
Helper bee

I’m going to make a professional album, but I’m going to use the layouts to make Blurb books for the parents. They don’t care about our wedding pictures nearly as much as we do, of course, so they’ll be perfectly happy with a coffee table style book rather than a professional album.

Post # 6
71 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: October 2006

My photographer also charges $1000 for an album.  I personally deisgn albums, so I am doing my own.  For my family, I created books on MyPublisher.  And everyone LOVED them!!!  Truth be told, that is still much more than most families were ever able to receive in the past.  Technology and printing has gotten cheaper.  So don’t underestimate the beauty of a much cheaper option for family.  We got such a good deal (they OFTEN run specials of 40% or 50% off a total order), that we made them for our parents, grandparents, siblings, and wedding party.  All for cheaper than one of the photographer’s parent albums.

For yours, expect to pay around $1500 or so.  Even though I design albums, I charge quite a bit just for design.  Then there’s the cost of the book printing on top of that, which in itself is not cheap.  While my total cost is less than $1500, that’s still pretty common.
Hope that helps!

Post # 7
4 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: May 2008

I HIGHLY recommend MyPublisher for the parent albums–but make sure you do the whole album in one go.  I took days to work on our engagement photo album and the software had a glitch on the last day and i had to re-download and start all over!  Not that much work but I was super bummed!

I have found that sitting down with the photographer and explaining that the album should be part of your package helps you get a better deal.  My photographer had a customized package and I wanted to switch some stuff out so he let me switch out an hour for the rest of my album.  The average price I am seeing is still 1200 for an album though.

Post # 8
5 posts
Newbee

Our album was $2000 for Leather craftsman album 50 slides 10*10 and each parents album was $600 but parents album was also 10 *10.  I love our album and think its definitely worth it.  We spent alot on photographer and I wanted an album that would reflect how beautiful the pictures were. 

The topic ‘parent albums $550??’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors