(Closed) Parking Tickets, Ex-Boyfriend, & Collections (FML)

posted 8 years ago in Legal
Post # 3
1890 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

@christalynn11: I’m not a lawyer, but I would talk to a lawyer about taking him to small claims court if I were you.  I have a friend (a bridesmaid) who is dealing with her ex husband in small claims court, though the amount he owes her is like $5,000. 

I’d at least call a lawyer and explain your situation, and try to get some advice about it.  Just remember that things like “he’s an idiot who gets DUI’s all the time” and “he also used to steal money from my purse” are not relevant to your claim regarding the tickets and you probably won’t get back that money.  Sorry your ex is such a jerk and good luck!

Post # 4
Bee
11824 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2009 - Barr Mansion

It really depends. It pretty much comes down to your word versus his. It will cost you some money to file a claim, but not very much. Maybe $100, $200, depending on where you live. You really don’t need a lawyer for small claims court and it would probably be a waste of money to hire one. 

I think the more important question isn’t whether you could win a claim against him (maybe, maybe not), but whether it’s really worth it emotionally to have to deal with something like this. Going through the process of filing the claim and then possibly having a hearing could be very stressful and bring up a lot of old emotions. If it were me, I’d want to think about that before filing a claim. Then again, it could feel pretty good to stick it to him.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Post # 5
312 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

@christalynn11:  Yeah I had that happen once.  Ex borrowed car, got a ticket for parking in the street when it had snowed.  It was like a $5 or $10 ticket.  He said he’d pay for it and I believed him.

Fast forward 5 years later and I get a letter in the mail stating I have a warrant out for my arrest because of an unpaid ticket.  By this time I was back at my parents house 3 hours away from where I was living during college.

I paid it, was pretty mad but my ex and I are friends again now and I told him about it.  He apologized and we laugh about it.  Fortunately he wasn’t as big of a d-bag as your ex seems to be.  I mean one ticket to accidently forget about (we broke up like 2 weeks after he got the ticket) is one thing but racking up tickets is another.  Sorry about your luck.  Hope you get things sorted out.  Unfortunately its on your record though and you can’t do anything about it other than pay.

The topic ‘Parking Tickets, Ex-Boyfriend, & Collections (FML)’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors