posted 8 years ago in Legal
Post # 3
553 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2009

Are you referring to your military passport or your civilian one? 

My unit was able to expedite me a new military passport after I got married…but for your civilian one you have up to a year to submit everything to get a free one with the name change. 

Post # 5
714 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

I think they offer an expedited service if for an additional fee.  I’m not sure how quick it is, but certainly worth looking in too.  Since you’re just “updating” yours its like a renewal and really shouldn’t take that long.  My Fiance had to renew his and with regular service it only took about two weeks.

Post # 6
7975 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

Are you stationed near an embassy or consulate in Iraq, and are you able to get there? When I was living overseas I did ALL my passport stuff at the embassy. It was usually actually cheaper than doing it in the States, plus everything except renewal took between 30 minutes and 4 hours, whereas in the States most of it takes several weeks and expensive postage. 🙂

Post # 7
13096 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2010

I’d just book your return to Iraq under your madien name and don’t mess with trying to change your passport that quickly.  I honestly don’t think it would be possible anyway as I’m pretty sure you have to change with social security first before you can even start messing with your passport.  And you can’t do that until you get your marriage certificate which has it’s own processing.  You don’t get it immeadiately following the wedding.

I second trying to do it through the embassy abroad if you can.  If not, just wait until you return to the States again for a longer stretch of time.

Post # 8
1871 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: February 2011

Yes, I wouldn’t mess with changing my name until after I had the time to do it in the US.

BUT, I have gotten a passport within a week’s time–there are plenty of services that will do this for you ($$$!). Look online, but before you do that, know that the biggest stumbling block will not be the passport service, but rather the post office who has to authenticate the application. Call your local post offices and see when the next date is that you can get an appointment–a lot of times they’ll tell you it wont’ be for another 2 months. Some of them, however, have passport fairs and you can go, wait in line, and get it done. Those will cost you a few hours out of your life, however.

Post # 9
622 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

i second the thought of not changing your name until you get back to the states. i think the name change process might take a while anyway, and i’m pretty sure you need your actual marriage certificate to start the name change process anyway. i think in the end waiting will save you a lot of stress and money.

The topic ‘PASSPORT ISSUES’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors