(Closed) Paternal abortion rights?

posted 8 years ago in Legal
  • poll: Should a father have paternal abortion rights (both pro and anti)
    Yes- please state why : (20 votes)
    15 %
    No- please state why : (107 votes)
    80 %
    Other- please state why : (7 votes)
    5 %
  • Post # 17
    6386 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: April 2013

@kris325:  +1, this exactly

Post # 18
    2121 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: March 2013

@NaijaPuertoDorian:  

i think i agree that you cant charge it as murder. Im quite ignorant of specific laws (esp US ones) so maybe a legal bee can help me out, but if it was successful wouldn’t it set a precedent that would affect abortion laws/rights? 

i thin they should focus on falsifying prescription, product tampering and there must be some possible charge relating to poisoning…or even assault? from what i gather taking the abortion pills is a painful process so even if you took the baby out of the equation then he chose to inflict pain on her

it must be immensely hard for a man to feel that he has no rights over his offspring. but equally i don’t agree with forcing women to have abortions as the man doesnt agree. i think (please correct me if im wrong) very few of these cases are from failed condoms, its normally unprotected sex or when the woman (accidentally or otherwise) misses a pill/doesnt take it/antibiotics interfere.i think in this day and age men can never trust contraception to another person

Post # 19
    650 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: November 2018

like some of the other bees I think she should be able to decide what she wants.  If that’s not what he wants then there should be an option for him.

Post # 20
    485 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: May 2014

@Follydust321:  Seriously?  We’re now comparing a fetus to cancer in order to argue in support of a woman’s body and her right to choose?

Frown I’m sad for so many reasons.  I guess I do understand your point and I do appreciate you arguing while being polite and civil.  Maybe it’s because I’m older now (30) and my views have started to change.  I’ve always been pro choice but now I’m being pulled to the side of pro life.  I don’t know.

Post # 22
    5229 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: March 2012 - Pelican Grand Beach Resort

I think  @AlwaysSunny: hit the nail on the head in that there is no equal choice.

Biology has favored the woman in the choice department, but has favored the man in terms of bodily risk. The woman bears ALL of the burden physically to bring a child into the world and must burture it in her body. She runs the risk of diabetes, eclampsia, and even death. A man cannot do this. Biology has put the woman in the position where she is the only one who bears the phyical responsibility and rise and we as a society in general recognize her right to choice, a right a man cannot have because that choise is tied to the physical space and physical risk of pregnancy and childbearing. Even if a father wants the child and the mother doesn’t, there’s no way for the father to take that risk upon himself.

However, both are ethically responsible for the well-being of the child as both people created that child. If a woman wants to get rid of that responsibility away, she has to abort (something a man cannot do) or give the child up for adoption. In some places, she can simply abandon the baby under certain conditions. If a father wants to give up that responsibility, he has to convince the mother to abort or to give up the child. If he fails to do so, he still has that responsibility. He can’t shake it no matter how much he wants unless the other party agrees. Likewise, however, in most cases, a woman cannot give up a child for adoption without the father’s consent if the father is known. So once the baby is born, the woman also needs the consent of the father to absolve herself of parental responsibility.

I think it’s really dangerous to promote the idea that a father should get the right to absolve himself of that responsibility of his own choice.

Post # 23
    485 posts
    Helper bee

@mrsSonthebeach:  “I think it’s really dangerous to promote the idea that a father should get the right to absolve himself of that responsibility of his own choice.”

Dangerous how?

Post # 24
    747 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: December 2013

@mousepeach:  Trust me, I also use that comparison with sadness. I once heard someone give an entire pro-life speech at a convention based on the fetus having different DNA than the mother. There are many great arguments against abortion, but that is not one of them. Yet, that argument continues to exist. I support logical arguments on both sides.

ETA: Surprisingly, to follow my personal view of morality, and my religion, I would not get an abortion. But, I don’t pretend to have been through what many others have.

Post # 25
    5229 posts
    Bee Keeper

@mousepeach:  Because childhood poverty is a serious problem and has ramifications on public safety. Children who grow up in poverty are more likely to commit violent crimes than those who do not. When half the financial contribution were cut out, childhood poverty would increase. Plus, we’re saying that we as a nation ethically agree that women, because they bear the children, are solely repsonsible for children. That only promotes our culture of shaming women for their sexuality.

Post # 26
    875 posts
    Busy bee

In an ideal world, men would have as much of a say as women. Actually, in many situations, I think that both potential parents should rationally discuss their opinions on what to do with the unplanned pregnancy once it’s discovered.

But of course, men aren’t the ones who get pregnant. So it’s not within their bodily autonomy to make the final decision – in fact, men getting that amount of influence takes the rights from the pregnant woman. The law already does enough of that as is. Besides, many people who are “adult” enough to create life aren’t adult enough to be mature and respectful to the other parent.

I will say that I am not opposed to paper abortions in certain cases, though. There are so many deadbeat parents who don’t even pay child support; while that is horrible, why not be honest about your unwillingness to become a parent upfront if the mother-to-be can afford the child? 

Post # 27
    5229 posts
    Bee Keeper

@mousepeach:  I’ll add to that this as well.

The right to parental support belongs to the child, not the mother. 

Post # 28
    159 posts
    Blushing bee

Coming from someone who was almost aborted. I believe, if people insist on aborting the baby,   then when you have a case where the couple disagrees it is a lose lose situation. There is no inbetween you can’t cut the baby in half and do with your half what you want. So it should always be up to the woman.

Post # 29
    485 posts
    Helper bee
    Post # 30
    10286 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2015

It’s interesting to see what a law is being used for as well. Not a lawyer, but I was going to reference the battered woman and baby laws tht were supposed to be used to put men in jail I after they beat their pregnant gf/ wife, but instead are being used by the ” personhood” crowd to throw women in jail for miscarrying/ “abusing” the fetus through negligence, drugs, etc. 

my point is that the idea of males having rights over a woman’s body is more far reaching than just the moral/ legal dilemma presented. it is already against the law in many states or a man to harm the fetus, although they aren’t prosecuted often. 

The other problem is one you establish personhood legally for a fetus, now you can’t allow any abortions, even in rape or incest or if the mothers life is on the line. You can’t say the fetus is a person with rights unless we don’t like the father. That’s the precedent being set if a fetus is a person. 

in this case, it is against the law to slip drugs to anyone. he should be prosecuted for that. 

Post # 31
    2766 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: April 2015

@kris325:  pay the medical bills and…? Force the woman to carry a pregnancy to term?

I don’t know if you’ve had children, but pregancy can wreak a lot of havoc on some women’s bodies, nevermind the mental distress of being forced to birth a baby one does not want. It’s tantamount to holding a woman hostage for 40 weeks, plus the additional recuperation time after pregnancy. 

I believe that a man should have the right to sign over parental rights, and not be held liable for a child he does not want. However, I also respect the autonomy of the woman, who shouldn’t have to bear a brutal bodily invasion for an extended period of time.

Giving parental rights to someone that forces another to carry out a pregnancy is simply barbaric, and not as simplistic as you make it out to be.

The topic ‘Paternal abortion rights?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors