(Closed) Paternal abortion rights?

posted 8 years ago in Legal
  • poll: Should a father have paternal abortion rights (both pro and anti)
    Yes- please state why : (20 votes)
    15 %
    No- please state why : (107 votes)
    80 %
    Other- please state why : (7 votes)
    5 %
  • Post # 63
    1088 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: June 2013

When men can start carrying babies for 9 months and go through labor, or know what it’s like to suffer a miscarriage or abortion, then they can have equal say. Woman’s body = woman’s (ultimate) say.

Post # 64
    941 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: February 2014

I think both parents should have rights whether or not to raise the child.  If a man doesn’t want to be involved, I don’t think he should be forced to be, just as a woman isn’t forced to be a mother.  

Post # 65
    3423 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: November 1999

@mousepeach:  actually it is her body so I’m not sure how you can be sick of the argument since that is the only argument.  If you can take whatever it is out and grow it somewhere else, then we have a different situation, but as for now, fetuses are part of the women’s body.

As for me opting out of child support, I don’t support that.  Sad day for them. 

Post # 66
    941 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: February 2014

@Hislittlebee:  +1 

I actually posted my stance before reading yours, but I agree.  

Post # 69
    3423 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: November 1999

@EastMeetsBarn:  Thanks.  Totally agree with the article.  It would be sertimental to women to try anyone for murder of a fetus. 

Post # 71
    900 posts
    Busy bee

Despite having a disease that lowers my chances of being able to conceive (I may be infertile – but insurance doesn’t pay for testing on that until you can show you’ve been TTC for a while, and have failed, so I don’t know for sure), I am very paranoid about becoming pregnant.  I use multiple forms of birthcontrol (always on the pill, sometimes add in condoms and/or spermicide) in combination.  Despite this, if I ended up pregnant, I would discuss my options with my SO.  If I decided to keep the fetus and attempt to carry to term, that would be my decision, and while I would certainly take his opinion into account when making the decision, ultimately, it would be mine to make.  If I decided to abort, again, it would be my decision, and while I would take his opinion into account, the final choice would be up to me.

If someone (my SO or someone else) tried to force me to carry a fetus to term against my will, I would terminate the pregnancy myself.  It is not hard to do, even in a situation where one is being held prisoner.  Women have been doing it for thousands of years.  The difference between modern abortions and historical methods is that modern abortions are safer, with very few complications aside from pain and some blood loss.

If (modern, medically-sound) abortions are made illegal, women will not stop having them.  They’ll simply stop having them safely.

The topic ‘Paternal abortion rights?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors