- 5 years ago
- Wedding: April 2014 - Italian Villa
I’m having a mild freak-out, and I need you guys to help me simmer down. SO’s major condition before he could propose was that he needed to get a job as a police officer. He graduated police academy December 2011, so this has been a long time coming (it’s a super competitive field, and the interview process can take months).
He started his job about 3 weeks ago. I’m really excited that he has gotten his career off the ground, but in the course I have had to make sacrifices. I just got my real estate license at the beginning of the year, and the office I work with is centrally located (lots of walk-ins!) with a two really successful brothers showing me the way.
SO’s job is more than 2 hours away. We have been living together for the last 2 years, so living separately at this point in our relationship (going on 3.5 years) seems silly, and who wants to move backward? So, I am relocating into the mountains to be with him. Now MY career is taking a big hit, because the real estate activity in this particular area is really slow (many properties are on the market for over a year!), especially compared to Denver. But I love him, and I would rather live with him and have a part time job and try to make the real estate thing work there than to try to do this by myself in the bustling metro area.
So, now that he has the job he has been waiting for, I have been feeling very impatient. Due to the need to wrap up some business down here, I won’t be joining him/ moving the rest of our stuff up until the beginning of April. He is now making so much more money than either of us has made before (especially with overtime- the department is currently 1 officer short).
I was foolishly hoping that he would propose almost immediately after getting hired (he does have a bunch of money saved up), but considering it has been almost a month, I think I am waiting for him to separately save up for the ring. And the one I want is going to have to be custom, so it will take about 4 weeks minimum after ordering to get. Deep down, I would really like a proposal before I permanently move into the middle of nowhere for him.
I know I am being kind of selfish, but this time a year ago, I was thinking that he had better propose before the 3-year mark or something is wrong, he must not be sure. Now that that milestone has come and gone, I am just hoping to hear “Will you marry me?” as soon as possible. I am hoping for a wedding date in spring 2014, so we’re getting a little down to the wire, here.
I have been good, I haven’t mentioned engagement since he got hired (other than in the context of other people, and only once).
I know I need to just be patient for a few months to give him some time, but I am going insane over here. I have been “waiting” for over 2 years. Argh!
Any wise advice?
TL;DR My SO set a condition for getting engaged involving his career- this condition has been fulfilled recently. I am getting impatient, but I know that realistically I need to give him more time. I am going crazy! Help!