(Closed) Pennsylvania Brides, marriage license/name change questions

posted 6 years ago in Logistics
Post # 2
2221 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2015 - Walnut Hill Bed & Breakfast

I signed my current name on the marriage license (which we applied for yesterday)…. i never even considered putting my new name? The lady didn’t ask or say anything…. i assumed all the name changing would happen after the wedding????? now i dont know!!!

Post # 3
1253 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2016

You sign your current (maiden) name on the marriage license. Changing your name afterwards is tedious, but not difficult. Basically you’ll be getting a lot of use out of that marriage certificate by dragging it everywhere you go to change your name. Here’s a handy checklist for what you’ll need to do: https://www.theknot.com/content/name-change-101

Sorry to post from a rival site, but it seems like a clear and concise list. The first step is going to the Social Security Office.

Also, I highly recommend getting 2-3 official copies of your marriage certificate from the registry office even though it’ll likely cost you a little extra. It’s more of a hassle to go back and get another copy later down the line if you lose yours. I kept one at my mom’s house just in case of a fire, and stored the other two safely.

Post # 5
1869 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

View original reply
Mrs_G_To_Be:  Name changing sucked for me (I just posted about this last week). Start at Social Security. If you’re doing First Middle Married. Proceed. If not, call and make sure they did you’re name right once you get your new card. (SS messed mine up and I just found out).

PA doesn’t actually care what your SS card says when you go to get your new license. (This is what I was told when I went to get a new license) They can only change you to First Middle Married or First Middle Maiden-Married. They will leave you First Middle Maiden. They will change you to something else if you have a passport showing the different name. Take your marraige license. 

You will need your marriage license to change your bank account, as well. 


Good luck! It certainly takes some time and money.

The topic ‘Pennsylvania Brides, marriage license/name change questions’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors