(Closed) Peonies & Ants?

posted 9 years ago in Flowers
Post # 3
113 posts
Blushing bee

i’m not a florist and i know nothing of peonies, but my guess would be to (1) shake them off; or (2) dunk the flower in a tub of water to get the ants out. i’m guessing the ants are attracted to the nectar.

Post # 4
820 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2009

I never knew about this until I was talking with my co-workers about peonies, but apparently, peonies are opened up by ants!! So when you grow them, they are always covered in ants! My co-worker said she used to grow peonies but couldn’t take it anymore, so she stopped. And apparently that’s why a lot of people don’t grow them in their gardens.

I don’t know how florists fix this but my guess is that by the time peonies are picked/cut, the ants have already done their job? And maybe all it takes is a good shake? I do know that I bought some peonies from my (wedding day) florist at the holidays (he had them in!) and they didn’t have a trace of ants on them- I looked closely! I wouldn’t worry about it- florists know what they’re doing!

I’m jealous, I would almost change my date just to get the ever-so-coveted peony into my bouquet 🙁 

Post # 5
11 posts
Newbee

We cut peonys and brought them inside and didn’t have an ant problem.

Post # 6
1245 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2009

Our peony bush is about to bloom and it’s CRAWLING with ants, has been for days. I had no idea the ants were there to open them, though — glad I didn’t poison them! Perhaps you could refrigerate the flowers long enough for the ants to be stunned and fall off?

Post # 7
2004 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 2008

I seriously doubt a florist would give any client a bouquet that had ants in it! I’m curious how they get them out too—ask her and tell us what you find out!

The topic ‘Peonies & Ants?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors