(Closed) Peony Brides -What are you using for the boutonnieres? (& a little vent)

posted 8 years ago in Flowers
Post # 3
2792 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

This florist sounds like a jerk and a half. I’d find another one pronto. Florists should not force their ideas onto you – they should help guide you through what you want as professionally as they can.

I remember the first florist I met with insisted on including hot pink roses in my flowers because they were the perfect color. I kept telling her that I HATE roses, but she kept saying they matched so I could deal with it. No, thanks.

Your first picture actually looks like a cupped peony. I LOVE the anenome bout though – I just love the look it gives! Plenty of people do anenome bouts. Annnnd, lastly, I think for a wedding it should look a little better than just plucking a single stem out of your bouquet and pinning it on. What a jerk!

ETA: I will have a bouquet of solid dark pink peonies, and my girls will be carrying solid cream peonies. My groom is going to have a dark pink orchid bout, and I wish I could help with ideas for the GMs but they are wearing starfish as bouts.

What about doing something similar to your first pic but with the silk peonies that your girls are carrying? I know that most florists won’t do peony bouts because they are such fragile flowers – but with silk, you avoid that problem. Somethin to think about!

Post # 4
385 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

It sounds like you should consider another florist…

But I think I understand what he means when he says that the boutonniere should look like a plucked flower from the bride’s bouquet – it really ties everything together if the flower for the boutonniere is something that’s also featured in the bouquet.

Post # 5
49 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: May 2011 - A church in downtown Nashville

I love the bouts you picked here, I don’t know what your florist is talking about!  How weird.  I think either one would be cute– have you considered spray roses?  They are small and have a ruffly look to them, which might work with peonies.

Post # 7
2792 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

@Ellabellaxo: Yay flower twin! (And almost date twin!) I think ranunculus would be gorgeous! A great fit for the look you’re going for!

Post # 10
2385 posts
Buzzing bee

As everyone else has said, you’re florist is an asshole; you need to find a new one. 

Post # 11
2600 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

I’m sorry!  That doesn’t sound pleasant at all.  I agree- they should be there to help you with your own vision, despite their likes and dislikes. 

I agree with the cupped peony… love those!

Good luck & I’m sorry your florist seems to be such a butthead 🙂

Post # 12
382 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

The pic of the first boutonniere kind of looks like a garden rose. I’m doing garden roses in my bouquet. They are usually pretty big but there are some that are different sizes. And some have that cupped shape. They are gorgeous and I even planted a bush in my back yard.

I do not like the sound of that florist! You are paying them and they should listen to your ideas. My florist is wonderful and listened to my ideas and suggested things based on it. We went back and forth and created more ideas together. She is giving me tons of options. I say go with someone else!

Ranunculus are beautiful, but not available during my time. Which makes me sad. The same with anemones. They are gorgeous. I’m toying around with the idea of some non floral elements to add to boutonniere. I’m thinking of doing wooden little hearts with our initials(because we are doing wood slices and our initials). Or adding some feathers to the bout like brown guinea feathers for a rustic element. There are so many things you can do. Do what you like! Your florist should help take YOUR elements you like and make it work and add to it!

The topic ‘Peony Brides -What are you using for the boutonnieres? (& a little vent)’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors