- 6 years ago
- Wedding: June 2013
So I have been admitted to three PhD programs, and I have already turned down one of the offers, but am having a hard time deciding between my two remaining options. I haven’t visited the second yet, so I am currently working off of incomplete information, but in case the visit doesn’t decide it for me, I thought I’d ask you guys to weigh in. Henceforth, they will be School 1 and School 2. So here’s the situation:
-Located literally a city bus ride from my parents’ house.
-16.5 per year stipend plus tuition waiver.
-Located in an area with very low cost of living.
-Located in the area where I will be planning my upcoming wedding.
-Really great faculty advisor that current grad students can’t say enough good things about.
-I REALLY hit it off with the grad students there. I am convinced that we would be friends.
-Reasonably respected program, but definitely not a “name” school.
-Not really well known for the area of specific research that I am going into.
-Most of my advisor’s work is dictated by the use of a particular research instrument.
-Has a really good reputation for the area of research I would like to go into.
-Stipend of somewhere between 17 and 22k for graduate assistantship. I haven’t been quoted an exact figure yet. I assume this includes a tuition waiver.
-Likely higher cost of living than school 1, but not high compared to other places.
-A variety of research directions to pursue within my desired path.
-Unofficial but significant affiliation with a major research center dedicated entirely to research in my field. Affliliation with this particular lab will aid in finding post-doctoral fellowships, most likely.
-I have been offered a fellowship that, if the funding goes through, will provide a 30k stipend for two of my years there. (See cons.)
-6 hours away from home and where I will be planning my wedding.
-The local area is small, and unlike school 1 I am not used to it.
-There would be expenses associated with moving.
-I don’t have the option of living with my parents to save money here.
-The fellowship funding will not be determined until LATE APRIL, after the April 15th decision deadline. Essentially, I most likely will not know whether or not this additional funding will happen until after I am forced to make my choice.
What you would you guys do? The main thing that I’m struggling with is right now I’m really wishing I knew the status of the fellowship… It’s a good problem to have, but still stressful!