(Closed) Photog added more album pages at her discretion. $200 extra charge for me!

posted 8 years ago in Photos/Videos
Post # 17
1403 posts
Bumble bee

@catalyst:  That is probably not a good idea, unless the OP goes with a larger size album.

If you can trim the extra pics, then go with 40 pages, but if you love it, it sounds like the photographer did their job.  I don’t think they are trying to “upsell” you, they are not making much out of the 200 dollar adder they are charging you, this is VERY reasonable.  If they were trying to upsell, they would of made it 15+ extra pages to try and WOW you into buying more.  I think they tried to fit everything in 40, but just couldn’t do it in a way they were happy with.  Did you select the pictures?  You should have an average of around 2 to 2.5 images per page.

As for the prints, it sounds like this photographer is still evolving into the digital age from older business models of selling prints.  It is true that the release probabably states that you only you can obtain prints for your personal use, but as true as it is, it’s kind of silly because it can’t be policed.  Photographers should just charge more for the CD to make up for lost print sales, and then give the user more flexibility on getting their own prints made.  There are advantages of getting prints through the photogapher though for anything larger than an 8×10,

Are your photographers print rates reasonable?

Post # 19
1403 posts
Bumble bee

@mkewed2010:  So you don’t have ANY reproduction rights?  Did he give you high resolution unwatermarked images?  If so, I can’t figure out why he wouldn’t let you reproduce them.

As I said there are some advantages of ordering prints through your photographer.  I don’t even offer 4×6 or 5×7’s anymore.  First, images those sizes tend to get lost in albums or in desk drawers, they offer the least amount of “satisfaction” and use for the client, so it’s hard for me to sell value.  A 20×30 wall portrait that will be enjoyed daily for yrs to come is another story.  The smaller prints IMO are more for proofing purposes, so I either offer proofs of the entire set for a set fee, or nothing at all.  It’s more economical for the client to obtain prints themselves in that size.  For larger prints, you really start to see the difference in ink and paper quality that a pro lab offers, not to mention the archival benefits.  Also, retouching is very noticable for larger prints, and the photographer insures that the image is perfect before it goes to the printer.   Even if you can get it at a better price, it can be a costly expense if it comes back with something not to your liking and  you have to get it reprinted on your dime.  Also, the photographer probably supplies larger prints custom mounted on matte board.

20 dollars for an 8×10 is def on the lower end of average IMO.  I would say that 75 for a 11×14 is about average.  It’s not a bad price, but then again it depends on what your photographer charged till this point……could be front end or back end loaded.   Also, they should be giving you discounts if you order multiple prints of the same exact images and size.

Post # 21
7429 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2009

It sounds like you are being milked for anything this guy can get out of you. I had a really good priced package, got great pics, and got a CD with full rights within a few weeks. No upsells or bs reasons to make me shell out more $$$

The topic ‘Photog added more album pages at her discretion. $200 extra charge for me!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors