Post # 1
We have been researching photographers since we got engaged in March. And we completely fell in love with ona leaven though he is a little more expensive than anyone in our area. We haven’t completely set a date yet because we have had a lot going on (my fiancé lost his job and so we had to relocate for his new job so I have been wrapped up in moving and trying to find a new job myself). We just emailed the photographer last night and found out that he is probably booked for our potential wedding date which we have planned on being August 16th 2014, he said the other couple hasn’t decided yet if they are going to book him and are meeting with him next Thursday but now I’m freaking out because we love his style and I can see myself possibly regretting it if he’s not the photographer. Since we haven’t officially booked the church or venue should we switch our date?
Post # 3
Change the date.
Find put your photographer’s availability and then try to match it up with a venue.
You’ll be surprised at how quickly dates fill up. Out venue is booked every Saturday from April until the end of September next year…
Do not book the photographer until your ceremony and reception venues are fixed!
Post # 4
You need to book your venue first in my opinion.
Post # 5
@mmccann13: I would book the church/venue first, then book everyone else. Especially the church. I made the mistake of booking our reception location and photographer first, and then dealing with the church. Well, once I finally got a meeting with the preist at our church, our date had already been booked! And we booked the church over a year in advance! Luckily, I was able to change the date with our other vendors – but I would have been completely screwed had they been unable to.
Post # 6
the wedding wont be at our church because they are currently rennovating the church and they wont be done till next winter probably, but we talked to the priest and we are on the schedule and we are waiting to hear back from the other catholic churches about their schedule there are 34 catholic churches in the area so im not to terribly concerned about the church part im sure we can get in somewhere and with the reception we are soft booked (penciled in) for the 16th. Im so sad right now because i had my heart set on him being the photographer 🙁
Post # 7
Just book him now. Tell him to send a contract and send him a retainer. If I had a meeting next week that’s a maybe but a couple today that wanted to put that date in stone it’s first come , first served!
Post # 8
As a photographer I get this a lot, I can’t stress how easy it is to miss being able to book someone. All it takes is one person with your date and boom, your favorite photographer is gone.
Post # 9
Do it, I am currently in the middle of booking my photographer right now and I am so nervous that someone will swoop in and get our date before I sign! We are signing this week!
Post # 10
Find out when your favorite photographer is available and start from there, if you can. That’s what we did and we got our photographer set first, then the rest fell into place. To us, the photographs were of primary importance. Best of luck to you!!!
Post # 11
@mmccann13: Switch your date and book the venue first. A few photographers we talked to weren’t able to sign a contract until the venue was booked. If you think about it, it really helps them avoid constantly having to reschedule their busy seasons.
Post # 12
Well, to me, if he hasn’t book that other couple, you still have a chance. I know that Fiance and I met with five photographers – lots of people meet with multiple. Is your date super significant to you in any way? I guess you need to decide if you’d rather have that date, or that photographer.
Post # 13
I was at a similar situation recently. We needed to change the date after my sister booked on the same date. Her contracts were a little iron clad so I was willing to change the date if all my current vendors were available on another date. Luckily, my photographer, venue, and church were all available on the same date in August. So we were able to switch without a penalty.
If that photographer is available, you still have a chance. If not, I would switch the date to get the photographer you want. But make sure you have a venue set.