(Closed) Photographer Dilemma!!

posted 5 years ago in Photos/Videos
Post # 3
2685 posts
Sugar bee

First, can a mod move this to the Photography board?

Second, take a close look at your contract to see what the process is to cancel the agreement.  You can probably cancel now without further cost to you, however it is very unusual for a photographer to refund part of the initial deposit and I would not be surprised if you cannot recover any of it.  I also recommend talking with the photographer about why you are canceling, because this is a learning experience for them too.  

Post # 4
458 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 2013

@bleusteel:  +1

Also, it doesn’t hurt to just ask.  Maybe they will negotiate for a reduced fee on how much they withhold.  But usually the initial deposit is non-refundable.

Post # 5
306 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

they will probably hold it all due to it being so close to the wedding that the chances are they may not get another booking so would loose out on money themselves and everyone has bills to pay!

Post # 6
960 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

@Alli0513:  I would let them know you want to cancel and ask if they can rebook the wedding date, if you can get the deposit back. We have that with most of our vendors as they’re more “mom and pop” type places despite their work being much better than you’d expect from that.

They let us know that they’re not trying to screw us and if we needed to cancel its non-refundable, but if they can rebook the date and make the same amount (or more) they will give back the deposit 🙂

Post # 7
790 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: February 2014

If I were you take the loss and walk away. It will be worth it the end to hire someone you really like. 🙂 Dont even ask for any money back.

If I were in those shoes I would not give the money back. That $500 was earned with back and forth emails, the consult, and the e session. Not to be harsh but you made the choice to hire them and you spent that $500 already. They have every right to keep it even if they do rebook the date. They put the time in for you already and now two months before the wedding you want to bail, the chances of them booking another wedding on such short notice is unlikely. I really dont mean to sound mean but thats the reality of the situation.


Post # 8
621 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

you booked them and tied up that date for an entire year. You alsoalready got a shoot and images out of them. Walk away and find someone new. There is no reason they should give you any money back. You’re lucky it was only $500 – mine is $1,000+. 

Post # 9
135 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

put yourself in their shoes- they are losing revenue they’ve been counting on for over a year. sorry but they more than earned that 500 holding your place. They stunk when you booked them so they didn’t mis-represent anything.

The topic ‘Photographer Dilemma!!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors