(Closed) Photographer Vendors or anyone else….

posted 11 years ago in Photos/Videos
Post # 3
42 posts

Personally I give a print release.

Post # 4
4122 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

Basically it’s 1) Them not knowing what their talking about or 2) trying to put it in “layman” speak.

Granting Full Copyright means that you have permission to edit, change, “say it’s yours,” make money off of it, and otherwise anything else you want.

print release and reproduction rights are technically the same thing, you are allowed to print photos for your own use, but you can’t circumvent sales for the photographer. i.e. If the release is in your name, your parents can’t take the photo somewhere and print them. You can’t copy the disc to give to all your friends as only YOU have permission to print… and you are taking away sales from the bearer of the image. 

Post # 5
255 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2004

Typically, you’d want limited printing/sharing rights, and the photographer would retain full copyrights. You could print them, reproduce them, give prints to family members, etc. You might want to check with the photographer as to whether or not s/he is OK with your giving the actual digital file to someone else, or if the person who purchased the file is the only person with printing rights.

With limited rights, you typically can’t sell them or officially publish them (although many photogs are OK with you posting them online, especially if you properly credit them).

Full copyrights are far more costly and, unless you were planning to sell your photos, it probably wouldn’t be worth the money (assuming it would even be an option with your photographer).

Almost all photographers will sell you limited rights, if any. In fact, if a photographer is offering fully copyright ownership, there’s a decent chance that the photographer might not understand it him/herself.

Hope that helps? 🙂

The topic ‘Photographer Vendors or anyone else….’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors