(Closed) Photography Etiquette 101

posted 5 years ago in Photos/Videos
  • poll: Is it ok to ask for missing pics?
    Yes : (92 votes)
    94 %
    No : (6 votes)
    6 %
  • Post # 3
    10367 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: September 2010

Did you have a set # of pics that were supposed to be delivered to you? There’s always way more photos taken than are given (unless you had agreed up front that all would be handed over). If there are additional shots you’d like, and they turned out good, but you already had the total # given to you that was agreed upon, they may ask for an additional fee (since they’d need to edit the additional photos, etc). Or they may be nice and just hand them over edited without an additional charge. Either way, it can’t hurt to ask!

Post # 4
    2891 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: July 2013

I would call and ask. They may not have been included because of blurriness, photo bombs, bad facial expressions etc but it doesn’t hurt to ask! It will save you from a lifetime of wondering.

Post # 5
    1314 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: May 2006

@sn2bmrsmntgmry:  What sort of “things” do you feel are missing?  If a critical moment or an entire series of photos is gone from what they’ve handed over to you, then yes absolutely.  If it’s something with low priority to you but that you’d like to have if it came out, then word it nicely and don’t put a ton of pressure on them.  They likey have moved on to another event and consider yours to be complete.  So it requires a little more work on their part.  I don’t have requests like that very often but I try to get to them when I can.

However if you’re wanting to see other variations of something that has already been presented to you then I’d advise you to let it go and move on.

Post # 7
    458 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: July 2011

I agree. I was given maybe 200 edited ones, but was given the full CD with 2500 pics (I had a couple of shoots, not just wedding day) and I really loved that.

Post # 8
    213 posts
    Helper bee

Most photographers give you onl ythe ones they pickes, with the edits done.  Mainly, you pay for a certain count.  It is definitely something for new brides to be aware of and ask from the begining what the terms are.

Post # 9
    12955 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: November 1999

@sn2bmrsmntgmry:  So glad you got the photos you were missing!  It doesn’t hurt to ask, especially if they were from one of the special moments!

Post # 10
    3081 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: August 2012

My aunt’s a photographer and I was nervous about the same thing, so I asked her about etiquette. I see that you ended up asking and are happy with that decision – we did the same thing for two particular shots/parts of the day.

I just wanted to confirm that it IS certainly okay to ask your photographer for pieces that you think might be missing, and they might or might not have shots available to add for you. They do take thousands and thousands of pictures and only edit and send you what they consider to be the best – but they might not know what’s important to you, and therefore miss something. A photographer’s reputation is tied to the pictures that he/she puts out there, so I think in most cases, they want to make sure that they are proud of what they’re sending, although I do think it would be neat to have had what @BuffaloDots: mentions.   

Post # 11
    11234 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: August 2013

I’m glad she got the photos you asked for. This is why I’m really glad that our photographer edits and gives us ALL of the photos she takes. Yes, you do get some not great ones, but I’d rather get ~1000 photos to sort through than 200 that someone I don’t know decided were “worthy.”

Post # 12
    1314 posts
    Bumble bee

@vorpalette:  I have a really hard time believing your photographer actually edits and gives you every single image they take.  If we did that it would take us probably 4 times to complete the editing on an event, and I’d probably have to charge a lot more for it to be profitable.

Post # 13
    11234 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: August 2013

@continuumphotography:  She shot, edited, and gaves us back all 431 photos that she took at our engagement session. We had 10 edited sneak peeks the next morning and our photo DVD within 3 weeks.

Post # 14
    1314 posts
    Bumble bee

@vorpalette:  That’s crazy.  Of course I have no idea what the depth of her actual edits are, but I know I for one would never turn a profit if that was my business model.

Post # 15
    1000 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: September 2009

VorPalette, sorry, have to agree with continuim here. Highly doubt your photog is really giving you ALL and forget ALL being 1,000. We deliver 1,000 and those are the winners. For us, all would be about 5,000, and no way your photographers editing that many photos. She is either lying about delivering all the photos or not editing them.

At OP please be happy with the extra photos you did get and don’t ask to see all. Brides who do that are exactly why most Photographer’s wouldnt have even given you the three photos… Because then you start wondering about “the rest,” and a happy client becomes an unhappy one. If brides would not think like that photogs would be way more inclined to honor requests like yours. If you tell her you’re not happy now she will never do that favor for another bride and it ruins it for everyone.

The topic ‘Photography Etiquette 101’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors