(Closed) Photography Etiquette 101

posted 8 years ago in Photos/Videos
  • poll: Is it ok to ask for missing pics?

Yes

No

• Post # 47
    2780 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: October 2013

View original reply
    @BookGirrl:  I can understand not giving the couple all of the pics that are taken, chances are there are thousands and even the couple probably won’t take the time to view them all. But If I get a shot I’m not happy with and ask for a different angle of the same shot or a copy of a shot I knew they took but didn’t give me, they better honour my request. I can understand if the shot honestly doesn’t turn out, but if it just didn’t meet the photog’s standards and that’s why it was excluded and i speciffically request it then yeah I want to see it.

Post # 48
    7286 posts
    Busy Beekeeper
    • Wedding: September 2012

View original reply
    @BookGirrl:  Something to consider about this is the timeline. I personally do all my detail shots first. It’s the first thing I do when I show up, before the getting ready photos or ceremony I’m in taking the tables, cake, etc. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve shown up and nothing is finished or ready for me to begin photographing. When my show up time is 4pm, and by 4:30pm nothing is done, I have no choice but to move on to photographing the bride getting ready.  I always try to sneak back but sometimes it’s just not possible with some timelines, and often after the ceremony by the time my second shooter has back to the room guests have already piled their stuff up. I’m not saying this is the case with every wedding, but it does happen often. 

Post # 49
    789 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: February 2014

View original reply
    @BookGirrl:  Its not a problem at all, I think people whine too much.

Post # 50
    1000 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: September 2009

View original reply
    @drummerbride:  Only ONE photographer on this thread was RUDE, IMO. And it’s not providing poor customer service when you are clear from the getgo that you choose the images… then the bride decides later she wants to see ALL of them, and we simply stick to our policies clearly stated prior to booking.

We are running businesses, not charities, and if we just did EVERYTHING brides decided they wanted AFTER the fact to make them happy we would be out of business. Granted, it’s very FEW brides who make these types of requests, so with proper expectation management 99% are going to be happy with what they are promised and delivered anyway… even the best business people can’t please EVERYONE, so you kind of have to draw the line somewhere.

And for the record, almost no one gets ALL the images they wanted from ANY photographer. We can’t read minds to know ALL those images, and even when you send a list circumstances at each wedding will vary, and often prevent the photographer from even taking every. single. image. you want. The photographers are responding because the expectations placed on them these days are getting to be really ridiculous… back in the days before digital, people got 200-300 photos from their day and were happy with just a handful of portraits of their wedding party and family standing in a straight line cheesing at the camera and a couple of pictures of the two of them cheesing in front of the same whatever background, now they want unique wedding party photos, “relaxed candid” portraits in a variety of locations, EVERY single moment captured, and suddenly 1,000 images isn’t enough? I see so many threads complaining about the price of photography, but it’s all driven by evolving client expectations.

Post # 51
    1105 posts
    Bumble bee

Perfectly fine to ask and yeah, I would advise brides to talk to their photographers as much as they talk to their mom during wedding planning because you want to make sure you get every single shot that you want and then some, but also ask if you can see all of the photos.  I will tell you though that as a photographer, some shots we do automatically take out like if it was a duplicate and half the people were looking away or someone’s butt takes up half the shot or it’s blurry or if we got 3 frames of the same exact shot, but generally, a photographer should meet up with you to discuss which ones you want.

Post # 52
    1000 posts
    Bumble bee

View original reply
    @vorpalette:  Awesome! I am sure you are going to be happy with your wedding photos then regardless of if you get every one, sounds like you and your photographer have a great relationship 🙂 And based on what she said she’s probably only going to weed out the REALLY bad outtakes for you 🙂

Post # 53
    1000 posts
    Bumble bee

View original reply
    @BookGirrl:  You do realize you are commenting that photographers should not be allowed to comment on Weddingbee threads on a thread ASKING ABOUT PHOTOGRAPHER ETIQUETTE, yet you dont want feedback from photographers…. clearly the most reliable source to answer this question. Umm, wow, talk about not asking questions you don’t want the real answers to!

Post # 54
    420 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: January 2013

As a current bride and a former photographer, I feel for you, and see it from both sides.

When I owned my own business, I definitely narrowed down the selections for my clients. They paid me for my eye, and I was very careful to choose pictures that both well reflected my style, and would make the client happy. I never withheld pictures that I knew the client would like just because they weren’t technically perfect, but I kept those aspects in mind because the pictures produced are my work. They reflect who I am as a photographer, and I do not want the occasional blurry picture or extremely unflattering picture to be reflective of my work as a whole. 

Narrowing down the selection of photos available is standard. It kind of sucks, but you have to trust that your photographer is not keeping photos from you intentionally, he/she is just trying to preserve the quality of their work and give you the best product you can have.Also, unless you and your photographer agreed upon you recieving all your photos, which is fairly uncommon, your photographer has no obligation to provide you with all the images, and any images he/she provides you additionally are given out of kindness/respect for you hiring him/her.

As a bride myself, I made sure to choose a photographer I knew, loved, and who I knew would be willing to adhere to my specific requests before I signed any contracts. I also made sure to give my photographer a list of “must haves” and really thought about it so that if (for some horrible reason) I only ever recieved those images, I wouldn’t be completely crushed. 

I’m sorry your having a hard time, and especially sorry that some of the photographers on here are being rude and/or getting defensive, but I hope everything works out for you.

Post # 55
    14 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: August 2011

It’s absolutely fine to ask for important photos from major events that are obviously missing. Any photographer would want to know about that. However, covering a wedding is hectic and we’re almost always short on time. A few of the less standard photos may be missed for any number of reasons, even by a great photographer.

For those of you who feel like you’re not getting your money’s worth unless you get all the photos, I really don’t understand that. Wouldn’t you rather have just the good shots of your day? Why would you want to have photos where you’re blinking or makng an unattractive face? When I edit my weddings, i’m thinking about what photos my clients would enjoy and how they would want to remember their wedding day.

Editing out bad photos and presenting only the flattering, pretty images is part of the service you pay for when you hire a professional photographer. It isn’t something we do to because we don’t care and we’re trying to take advantage of clients.  

Post # 56
    420 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: January 2013

As an example, when I first started my business I would occasionally do very low-priced sessions with close friends and family. Even here, where I was much more generous than in my true professional career, I only let the clients choose from a pre-selected number of images. I never let anyone I shot for, not even my sisters, see “every” picture. It just doesn’t work that way most of the time. 🙂

Post # 57
    977 posts
    Busy bee

@BookGirrl  Vendors have lives and get married too and have weddings to plan.  There shouldn’t be a policy to keep them from posting on boards.  They are knowledgable and have good advice and have their own opinions.  

Post # 58
    3680 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: August 2013

View original reply
    @jmaze:  It didn’t seem to me that you had very good advice when you told the OP that what she said made you want to vomit.

When you declare yourself as a vendor and then post comments like that, that is the behavior that’s unacceptable.

Post # 59
    2780 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: October 2013

View original reply
    @PassionatePhotoLady:  I’m not even talking about requests to see all the images, a good photog will take thousands of shots for one wedding. I understand them not supplying the couple with every shot, but if a couple is paying you thousands of dollars for one shoot over their wedding day, and after receiveing your selected shots, requests a copy of a shot from a different angle or requests a copy of a shot that they know was taken and it wasn’t included, I see it as poor customer service to refuse that request. 

If the requested shots just don’t exist or are truly horribly blurry or something, thats understandable to be honest about it. Lying to a client and saying you don’t have it, it didn’t turn out or straight up deleting all the shots you deemed not acceptable before the couple has a chance to make any specific request, is poor customer service. 

I’m fully aware the photos select the shots in which the couple gets to see, many couples will be completely happy with that, but there are just as many couples that after being part of a shoot will want to see specific shots.

ETA: Thankfully my Photog’s practice is to send the couple a disk of most of the shots that weren’t blurry, too dark, etc; prior to editing with a very minute selection edited so the couple can see the difference, and allow the couple to select the photos they would like to have edited and copies of.

Post # 60
    789 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: February 2014

“ETA: Thankfully my Photog’s practice is to send the couple a disk of most of the shots that weren’t blurry, too dark, etc; prior to editing with a very minute selection edited so the couple can see the difference, and allow the couple to select the photos they would like to have edited and copies of.”

This is not industry standard. Not very many pros are going to give clients unfinished work. They should get all the photos they were delivered finished.

However its reasonable to ask for some to get a higher retouch than just the standard post work for an album or prints. Its also reasonable to ask for photos that you think are missing. Nobody is perfect and many of us understand that a photo might not make our cut but its still important to the couple. Some of you act like its an evil plan to keep photos from you..

Im sorry people expect too much sometimes just because its the digital age…

Post # 61
    1314 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: May 2006

I missed the vomit comment, so no clue what that’s about.  Definitely not representitive of the professionals that do take their time to post on here.  I think it’s sad that so many seem to not appreciate the information the pros provide on this forum.  There is so much misinformation about wedding photography on here that to me it seems like a no brainer to take advantage of the free information the pros are providing you. Not only that but this question in particular asks specifically what the etiquette should be.  Who better qualified to answer it than the photographers?

The topic ‘Photography Etiquette 101’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors