(Closed) photography experts – need your help!

posted 7 years ago in Photos/Videos
Post # 4
2313 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

It’s not so much a photography technique as it is an editing technique, I think. Your best bet would probably be to send your photographer photos like this and tell them that is the look you prefer and ask them if they would be able to achieve it. 

Post # 5
2512 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

Honestly, what I would do is literally show her some pics that you like. That is the best way for her to see the style you like and be able to try and make it come true! 🙂


Post # 6
399 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

That’s a photoshop action, not a shooting technique. It’s muted with pink tones. Show your photog or just hire a photog who shoots this way. Most photographers aren’t going to want to edit in a style completely different than what they usually do, so don’t hire someone with bold, contrast-y colors and expect them to do it this way.

Post # 7
10366 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2010

That coloring effect is created with a Photoshop action. Specifically look for photogs who have that type of editing in their online portfolio, and show them the example pics. They will let you know if they won’t can’t do it. Some photographers love that type of editing, some don’t!

Post # 8
682 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

it’s just editing. the photog softned them and did a little action on them. Lovely photos!

Post # 9
3941 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

@BeeM:  I’m a photographer and agree with this.

You can’t really ask your photographer to edit this way.  When you sign a contract with your photographer you’re signing up for his/her editing style – not someone else’s.  If you’re really looking for something more like this, and you haven’t seen anything like this in your photographers portfolio, i would look for another photographer. 

Post # 10
1405 posts
Bumble bee

@hotchocolate:  This is more than just a photoshop action, and the technique it’s called cross processing.  Without giving too much away, it involves raising some of the color channels and decreasing others.  Please understand that obtaining certain looks is not just a simple one click action, and needs to be tweaked for each photograph.

If your photographer is versed in post processing, I don’t think it’s an issue to ask them if they can process the images this way.  I know people have a particular style, but YOU are contracting your photographer to shoot for you, not for them to display on their portfolio.  If they are able to do this, I don’t see why they wouldn’t.

Post # 11
10 posts
  • Wedding: January 2011

Have you signed with your current photographer yet? I could recommend some really great photographers who shoot and edit in this style for you…

Post # 12
36 posts

as a photographer…while it’s true that most will stick to their styles of post processing – what might help you the most is find photographers that shoot mostly natural light. That’s a key element in the style you’re seeing…then yes, perhaps you enjoy that style of post processing. No it’s not a cross processed style…search out natural light photographers and I’m sure you’ll find some in a similar direction.

The topic ‘photography experts – need your help!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors