- 4 years ago
I got engaged in August 2013 for a May 2015 wedding. The top vendors around town book up 18-24 months in advance as we found out and we wanted our pick of vendors. We booked the big few (venue/church/photog/caterer etc.) almost immediately after getting engaged. Fast forward to April 2014, and I got accepted into a fast-tracked 14 month MBA program at an excellent school for virtually nothing which basically requires you to cancel your life for 14 months. Fiance and I had a long talk and decided to postpone the wedding until May 2015 because this opportunity wouldn’t come around again. We contacted all our vendors and 99% of them were fabulous about it — congratulating me on getting in, completely understanding, and moving the deposits and dates no questions asked as it was still 14 months in advance.
All that is — but one. And it was the photographer that I hesitated contacting most even though the photographer came highly recommended and had great reviews. It was by far the biggest deposit — 50% of our final bill — and stated in our contract that any changes to the contract (which would include a date change…I suppose) could result in a cancellation of the contract entirely and a forfeit of our (over 2k) deposit. I contacted the photographer and they promptly responded saying that they understood but they needed to think about whether or not to make an exception for the grad school case and told me they would contact me within a week (this is the beginning of May 2014) with their decision. A week came and went, and I sent a follow up e-mail that got no reply, so I just assumed they had written me off entirely. I’ve seen cases on the Bee of bees running into bad vendors who ignore them and keep their deposit and just figured I was in that camp.
Since then, we’ve booked our ‘second choice’ photographer which we’re entirely happy with. Then today (3 MONTHS LATER) I get an e-mail saying that they’ve (the original photographer) thought about it, and they’ll do the wedding in May 2015. BUT they no longer do engagement shoots (which was included in my originaly package) because “they were losing money on them” and so if I still want that I have to pay an extra $300 (totaling $750 for the engagement session). I’m miffed. I’m — if possible — more miffed than when I was ignored completely. In what world does the photographer think that I was so enamored with their work that I was going to sit around without word for three months and still want to work with them? I feel like I’ve dodged a bullet. Thanks for providing me a place to vent bees — I nearly spit out my drink while checking my e-mail this afternoon.