(Closed) Physical Therapist or Chiropractor?

posted 6 years ago in Wellness
Post # 3
2250 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

Massage therapist! I’m not sure if you’re in Canada or not, but I’m a massage therapy student in Ontario and I’m just finishing up a pregnancy outreach… we’ve had amazing feedback from all the mamas! I’m not sure that a lot of MTs in the states have the same amount of training (to register, we need to have completed 2200 hours)… but worth a shot!

Post # 4
1342 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: December 2012

@ellebeerob:  I personally would go the physical therapy or therapeutic massage route.  I’d maybe talk to your doctor to get their opinion.  You’ll probably find that people either are very pro or anti chiropractor, I have found there is very little in between.  

Post # 5
3552 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

@ellebeerob:  I’d go back the the chiropractor, or maybe find a different chiropractor if you’re not clicking with this one. They are actually able to adjust all kinds joints in your body, I’ve seen someone have their knees and elbows done before. It sounds like you hip needs to be adjusted as well as your lower spine.

I fell badly on ice which locked up my hip because the joint between my hip and spine got jammed. My chiropractor was able to put everything back in alignment and taught me some stretches that help me keep it unlocked.

I’m not sure how useful physical therapy would be if your joints are locked.

Post # 7
4925 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

Physiotherapist. They did far more for me than any chiropractor. I hope you start to feel better soon !

Post # 8
155 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

As a physical therapist, I vote PT – there are PT’s who specialize in women’s health in particular if you feel that it’s more pregnancy related.  

Disclaimer: I’m not anti-chiropracter at all, but generally advocate PT πŸ™‚

Post # 10
155 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

@ellebeerob:  Too funny – I am/was also a XC runner, so I get it.  I’ve been to chiropracters as well and had one for years that I would see sporadically, and LOVED.

 I hope I don’t get flamed for this, but that’s a reason a lot of PT’s are anti-chiropracter…. you kind of have to keep going back repeatedly, whereas the goal of PT is to discharge you and have you carry out a home exercise program.  

Like I mentioned, look into someone who specializes in women’s health, if you feel it’s more pregnancy related.  This is the PT professional organization that can help you find someone if you need guidance:


Good luck! Let me know if I can be of any help! 

Post # 11
18637 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

I would go to a physical therapist or massage therapist.  I have heard of way too many people who are permanently messed up after going to a chiropractor.

Post # 12
1765 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

I would say physical therapist. They seem to help you help yourself, if that makes sense. They give you stretches and exercises to do on your own so you don’t have to rely on them. 

Post # 14
5400 posts
Bee Keeper

I love my chiropractor, but he does very very different work from most chiropractors. If you’re interested in it, good Blair chiropractic technique and see if there is anyone near you. They are very unlike most chiropractors who want to see you 3x/week forever. Let me know if you have any questions! In your position I would consider some massage also. 

Post # 15
2892 posts
Sugar bee

I would see a doctor to get their recommendation. The reason I say this is because I have chronic back pain and for a while I saw a chiropractor. While I was going he told me the same thing – my back is out of whack. I’d feel a little better after going but within a day or so the pain would be back till I saw him again. Went to my doctor and he recommended physical therapy. Physical therapist concluded that my back was out of whack but it was because the muscles around my spine and hips weren’t strong enough to hold my back in place. So, yes, the chiropractor was able to temporarily relieve the issue by moving my spine back into place, but he would have never been able to fix it because he wasn’t strengthening my muscles. 

Post # 16
10601 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: January 2011

I would start with a GP, as they can best diagnose and then send you to who they feel is best.

The topic ‘Physical Therapist or Chiropractor?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors