- 2 weeks ago
Help, I’m panicking!
I’m one of two bridesmaids (no MOH) for a wedding that is coming up on June 26th. We are STRUGGLING to find a venue for the bridal shower. Here are the things we are struggling with:
- The MOB uses a walker and can only walk very short distances. The distance from parking, to event area, and to bathroom all need to be very short. She also can’t handle most terrains–everything needs to be paved, with no stairs. Nothing steep, either; if there’s a grade, it has to be very, very, very mild. Even grass is hard for her.
- Because of this, neither I nor the other bridesmaid can host it at our house. I live in an upstairs unit with no elevator and the other bridesmaid lives on a property that does not have an accessible bathroom.
- It also means that I have to physically go inspect each venue before booking it. I work set 8-5 Monday-Friday, so my hours to go see venues are limited.
- The bride, her mom, and likely several other guests will need handicapped parking.
- The bride is gluten intolerant (will get very sick if she eats anything with gluten) and every single dish will have to be gluten free. Most restaurants do not offer very many (or any) gluten free options, and most do not let you bring in your own food.
- This is made more complicated by the fact that the bride really wants a brunch place, since we are already hosting her engagement party at a park.
- We are in a global pandemic. Our current max for indoors is 25, and if that’s the case, eating/drinking is strongly discouraged, and should only be done if there’s tons of ventilation & space. Many places are not accepting groups of that size (we are inviting 20-25) even though the county allows it.
- I don’t make a ton of money, and the other bridesmaid is unemployed. Our max to spend for a bridal shower is $600. Most venues cost $250-$300 per hour, before you add in the food.
- It’s just me and the other bridesmaid available to work on this, since no one else is local (and we don’t actually know the other guests anyway). Other Bridesmaid or Best Man just had a c-section a week ago, and can’t go out looking at venues.
- This needs to be done before the wedding on June 26th.
And to make matters worse, here is a list of places we have already vetoed due to accessibility or availability: all parks managed by the City of San Jose or the County of Santa Clara, all neighborhood parks in Los Gatos (sans Oak Meadow, where the engagement party will be), and Portal Park in Cupertino.
If you have any suggestions, please send them my way ASAP! I’m losing my mind over here!!